Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so... For the past little while I noticed I only get 400km (240ml) on a tank of (regular) gas on my '95 Sable (3.0L). It's roughly 50/50 between city and highway and I (almost) never have the A/C on. So, I'm just curious what everyone gets before I start seeing what I can do to improve it in anyway (yes, I went out andbought a K&N filter a long time ago :D ), any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
That's about the same as I get with my 94 Sable 3.8 if I drive it hard and go fast on the highway. That's < 22Mpg for me. I got 29 Mpg one day driving 55 on the highway though.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I get approx. 22 mpg. High of 27, low of 16.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I average about 21-22mpg. 90mph on highway for 300 miles I got 25.1mpg. Leadfootitis I get about 19mpg. 3.0 Vulcan with 135,300 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
I have a lead foot, with highway/rush hour driving (which seems like city driving)... I average a pretty consistant 22.5MPG... lowest was the first tank (breaking it in) at 18.75, high I can't remember off the top of my head but was 25 or 27 MPG. I have a complete history of all maint. and gas on my car in a program on both my pocket PC and desktop (they link to each other).

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
before I started beating on my car daily I was getting a pretty consistant 22mpg with a 40/60 highway/city but now I'm getting anywhere between 17-19mpg with extreme driving, this includes crusin almost every day with my friends, a tank lasts about 4-5 days.

J

·
0 Posts
I get an average of 23 MPG between about 60/40 highway/city (taking it easy in the city). When I do all city driving and am mildly agressive I get about 21. On long trips taking it easy on the highway (65 MPH or lesss) I have seen 30+ MPG. Driving more agressively on the highway at higher speeds I get about 27.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
On my 3.8L, I was getting about 15-16 MPG pure city before I put I a K&N. I'm now getting over 18-19 MPG pure city w/ K&N. I drive under "heavy duty conditions" as teh manual states. That means extra dusty environment, short trips under 10 miles/mintues, average speed of around 30 MPH, windows down, and plenty of stop and go.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can make around 500km with one tank of gas, on the overdrive at 110 or120 kph

·
Banned
509 Posts
Man, I decided one tank, to drive SUPER concervitive. And I got 21 MPG, and that was like 60 highway,40 city.. What I am guessing is that if you accelerate super slow, it takes more gas to get to a certian speed, than it does to press the gas 1/2 way and get there faster with less gas.. Or something along those lines..

I used to get almost a constant 17-18 MPG..

Also, why is it that driving at 55 mph you get really good mpg? When for 400 rpm more, you can go 70, and less mpg?! Like, in a 1 hour time period, you can go farther at 70, than 55.. but get less mpg!? Anyone getting this? Im confused now :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think I'm getting approx 17.5 mpg around the city. That's typically a top speed of 60km/h, and average speed of 45km/h and with some stop-start driving. I haven't tried the highway yet - too scared in case it breaks down!! (it's a bit of a lemon!)

2000 Taurus SE Vulcan, with 47,000km

Y

·
0 Posts
how many kms is that in miles? 47000km?

how is it a lemon if I may ask.

i have been getting on avg 27mpg... i drive on the hightway A LOT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts