Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 ford taurus GL with the 3.0 vulcan engine. I am only averaging about 17-19 mpg in the city and about 22-23 on the highway. Is this normal or is there anything I can do to improve it?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There are a few things that you can try.

1- Get a K&N air filter. They flow better and typically up gas mileage.

2- Make sure you have a proper tune-up, including new spark plugs, wires, and your cooling system is filled and is working properly.

3- Check to make sure that your tires are all filled to the correct air pressure. Don't use a cheap gauge, as they are notorious for being off by a few psi. Go and get a decent gauge to make sure that your measurements are correct.

4- Don't use the air conditioner.

5- Make sure there is nothing attached to your car, such as a six foot tall wing or a front air dam that increases the length of your car by three feet. The drag created from all the extra downforce kills gas mileage...lol...

6- Since you have a Vulcan, you're going to want to use 10w-30 oil in the car. If you're using traditional dino oil, try switching to a fully synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1, or if that's too expensive, try a synthetic blend, such as Valvoline Durablend.

I run a K&N with no intake silencer, and Durablend 5w-30 and average about 25 in my Duratec. You should get better mileage than I do. Yesterday, I did a quick 90 mile shot from my house to Philadelphia, all at about 75, and ended up getting almost 29 mpg for the trip...

JR

·
Registered
230 Posts
another thing, use cruise control whenever you can, that helps save gas, and what will hel the most, keep the pedal off the floor :p

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always try to use cruise control. But it is having problems on my car.

Cruise Control Problem posted on this forum.

·
Registered
341 Posts
my 97 duratec is only getting about 20 mpg on the highway. intake silencer is removed, but i believe it needs new spark plugs. would the plugs make that much of a difference? other than needing plugs, the engine runs fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The ShagWagon gets 24-26 MPG as a general rule, and the wagon is heavier than the sedan. I keep the tires (Kumho) at 40 lb. each.

Many of the suggestions made above are great mileage enhancers: tire pressure, no racing, keep the car light (keep uneccesary junk out of the car), make sure your trans is in good condition, with regular oil & filter changes, use good quality motor oil, etc.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep the tires at the pressure it says on the label on the car and I do the maintenance regularly at my ford dealer.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by thsncc1701@Jul 12 2004, 12:30 PM
I have a 93 ford taurus GL with the 3.0 vulcan engine. I am only averaging about 17-19 mpg in the city and about 22-23 on the highway. Is this normal or is there anything I can do to improve it?
My Taurus used to give me 13 back in the day....but after giving it a tune up...spark pluge, etc....it began to give me about 16 to 17 mixed driving... :)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
several things to note. Fuel mileage depends on after market stuff too (if you have any) including custom Rims, Cold Air Intake, tuning chip, etc. if it not totally stock, the fuel mileage may be off. (but i am sure you already know this) :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts