Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what kind of gas mileage is everyone getting? Please tell me what engine you have, and what octane you are running, plus any chips, etc. I'm getting 22.5 on short trips, with a FFV Vulcan, stock everything, with 87 octane. Is this okay? :thanks:

J

·
0 Posts
2001 Vulcan with 40k+ miles with intake silencer gone, k & n panel and flowmaster exhaust = 30mpg highway, ~22 city (driving nicely). I keep better track of highway mileage though - I don't keep very good track of city. All on 87 octane - no chips.

X

·
0 Posts
18.5 mpg with lots of highway driving. And no, I'm not beating on the car.

N

·
0 Posts
well i can't remember what it was on my SHO, but I keep track of my wagon. Its an 87 taurus LX wagon that i picked up as a winter beater since my SHO is down. I think that this thing gets great gas milage. IT gets about 25mpg with half freeway and half surface street driving. Oh btw it has a vulcan and the 5 digit odometer rolled over so i'm guessing its over 200K miles. Not bad I don't think for only paying $650 withtax plates and title

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
2000 Taurus, 24v DOHC, intake silencer removed. 51K, I would say around 20 MPG, 87 octane.

-DC

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have a 98' Sable with a Duratec...

No performance mods, except that I have removed the silencer cone.

I get about 21.5 in cold weather, and about 24 in warm weather.

Sometimes, if I'm driving around Philly alot, I get about 18 or so, which really sucks...

This is all on 87 octane, about 98% of the time from Mobil.

I also just bought a new dial tire pressure guage, and after comparing to the old pop-out style guage I had been using, the dial guage said I was 10 pounds low on every tire, which i confirmed with another guage. Maybe I'll get some extra milage out of the tire pressure change...

Oh yeah, just under 70,000 miles...

JR

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Consistent 22.5 with highway (stop and go rush hour)/city driving, 25 on longer trips, but I have a heavy foot

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by n2_space@Mar 5 2004, 04:40 PM
Consistent 22.5 with highway (stop and go rush hour)/city driving, 25 on longer trips, but I have a heavy foot
Sounds like you and I both know how to coax a few more MPG out of our bulls, eh? What mods have you done?

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I had my Taurus, I had the 3.8L V6, K&N cone filter adapted to the MAF, and no other mods besides exhaust and I was getting between 22-27 in the city. I was getting about 29 or so on the highway, that was all on regular unleaded.

Now with the Ranger, I am getting 14-16 in the city and 16-18 on the highway <_<

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
just bad!
...damn lead foot and 220 hp engine!

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I got 22.1MPG all city driving in my 1998 Taurus SE with Vulcan last week. That was with two people, a dog, and a trunk full of stuff...and new spark plugs needed!

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by 00Taurus+Mar 5 2004, 11:25 PM-->QUOTE (00Taurus @ Mar 5 2004, 11:25 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-n2_space
@Mar 5 2004, 04:40 PM
Sounds like you and I both know how to coax a few more MPG out of our bulls, eh? What mods have you done? [/b]
It's stock

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Has anybody else noticed a decrease in miles per gallon after they had an aftermarket exhaust put on? I used to get around 20mpg or better in the city, then I got an exhaust installed and now I'm lucky if I get 20mpg, it's usually like 18-19mpg. I know it's not a huge drop, but it's noticeable. The weird thing is, I keep the revs lower now with the exhuast because of how loud it is, and I'm still getting worse mileage. Kind of ticks me off because I think flowmaster advertises better fuel economy as one of their selling points.

I might be wrong on the reasoning, but from what I've heard, the way an exhaust makes power is by providing a free-er flowing path to help eliminate all the burned gases form the cylinder on the exhaust stroke, thereby providing a cleaner or purer air/fuel mixture. Well, if there's more fresh air coming in to the cylinder on the intake stroke, then obviously the computer has to add more fuel to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio; hence, the reduction in mileage. What do you guys think?

J

·
0 Posts
I dunno, I added my Flowmaster and still get a good, strong 30mpg on the highway and ~22 when I'm driving nicely in the city. I actually did see a slight increase with the flowmaster. I run only Valvoline full synthetic oil if that makes a difference, too.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mapleleafs@Mar 6 2004, 05:14 PM
My 99 SE with the Vulcan gets probably 14 or so MPG.. I barely get 120 miles to each tank.
That's not good!
Makes me wonder what could possibly be causing something like that. The 99 SE Vulcan I had got about 26mpg on average.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have a K&N panel filter and I get 17.5 MPG pure city driving. I don't have anywhere to go that requires highway travel. But since I drive short distances, I only have to fill up once a month.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Mar 6 2004, 07:25 PM
That's not good! 
  Makes me wonder what could possibly be causing something like that.  The 99 SE Vulcan I had got about 26mpg on average. 
I dont know either.. but it is all city miles. I'm not sure if that'll make it take that much of a hit. Everyone I've talked to said its normal.. but they all drive SUVs and trucks though.. heh.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts