Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
I'm sorry, but does this look strange to anyone else but me? (Referring to the gas gauge and the DTE guage. ) View attachment 219327
DTE can get tricked. Sometimes when you add gas the system fails to record it but the analog hand does not care, it just measures the level the old fashioned way.
Fill the tank and see if it gets back in sync.
PS. I think I have/had 7 cars with DTE, they are usually accurate. Key word, (usually).
-chart-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DTE can get tricked. Sometimes when you add gas the system fails to record it but the analog hand does not care, it just measures the level the old fashioned way.
Fill the tank and see if it gets back in sync.
PS. I think I have/had 7 cars with DTE, they are usually accurate. Key word, (usually).
-chart-
Unfortunately, my gas mileage and all has looked this way for close to a year now.. I think I'm getting 14 MPG now?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Typical would be that the gas cap is not closing properly. Take it off, put it back on, clear the code and see what happens (without clearing the code, the CEL should go off after some time).

However, since you also have a poor mileage, it might be that the leak is not small and that you are actually losing gas. So perhaps you can have a look at the so-called Fuel Filler Neck, the oddly curved pipe between the gas cap and the fuel tank. Mine looked so awful after 17 years, that it was a strange sight: for sure there is rust all over the place after 17 years on the salted roads in the Netherlands, but the filler pipe looked much older than the rest of the car. After the state inspection started to carefully study all sides of the pipe with a mirror, I thought it was time to replace it.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Typical would be that the gas cap is not closing properly. Take it off, put it back on, clear the code and see what happens (without clearing the code, the CEL should go off after some time).

However, since you also have a poor mileage, it might be that the leak is not small and that you are actually losing gas. So perhaps you can have a look at the so-called Fuel Filler Neck, the oddly curved pipe between the gas cap and the fuel tank. Mine looked so awful after 17 years, that it was a strange sight: for sure there is rust all over the place after 17 years on the salted roads in the Netherlands, but the filler pipe looked much older than the rest of the car. After the state inspection started to carefully study all sides of the pipe with a mirror, I thought it was time to replace it.
Pic from 9 year old. Leaking from rust hole and code for vapor loss. JY part fixed this. Not an easy project.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts