Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if you guys or gals know of any tips or anything on how to get better gas mileage??

Besides: keep your foot out of it
tire pressure
tune up, etc...thats just common sense

Looking for some good ones, like K & N, will it really help? I read something on that in a different post, so don't answer it,lol.
Anything, just as long as it won't hurt the motor!

Please don't get off the beaten path of the topic!

thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Many people claim to get around 30 MPG with their Vulcan engined Taurus and Sables. You could do what they do...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 97ford@Apr 19 2004, 12:24 PM
lol, what do they do??

Claim<-------
Not much you can do, except take good care of your car. Make oil changes timely, replace PCV at recommended intervals, keep air filter clean, keep car tuned up, use fuel injector cleaner periodically (seafoam brand works the best, IMO), make sure throttle body is clean, Maf is clean, etc etc.

All little things.

-DC

·
Registered
30 Posts
K&N's do help a little bit. I put one in a little over a year ago and noticed I got about a 1mpgallon increase, so every little bit helps. But my theory is that we need to do what the Europeans have been doing, and that is to become master coasters. Just learn to take your foor off the gas when going down hills or rolling up to stop signs and lights.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Have you tried drafting?

But seriously, if you're looking for a bolt-on to improve mileage, have you thought about water injection? I think Kermit was the guy who put a water injection system on his duratec, and IIRC he got a decent boost in power AND fuel economy. Maybe he'll chime in and give some details.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Apr 19 2004, 01:24 PM
When it wasnt wrecked we got (at the most) about 30-32MPG.. which was EXCELLENT. And that's *city* driving. Just ... you know.. keep up with your car.

I am guessing you never clocked your MPG.. I have a Vulcan, and it gets about 18 MPG. But 30! CITY!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, that is insane. I get 30 on the HIGHWAY, but city is more around 22-24.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by E-ville Bull@Apr 19 2004, 03:22 PM
K&N's do help a little bit. I put one in a little over a year ago and noticed I got about a 1mpgallon increase, so every little bit helps. But my theory is that we need to do what the Europeans have been doing, and that is to become master coasters. Just learn to take your foor off the gas when going down hills or rolling up to stop signs and lights.
Or drive diesels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@Apr 19 2004, 11:51 AM
Many people claim to get around 30 MPG with their Vulcan engined Taurus and Sables. You could do what they do...
LIE about it!

G

·
I get 30+ MPG (on average) on the highway (I have seen 31.5) and if I drive (very) nicely I get around 24 MPG city.

I have my intake silencer removed, a K&N panel filter and flowmaster muffler. That's all I did to get that. I saw right about 28 on the highway before I did that stuff. Plus I use Valvoline fully synthetic oil (5w30).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I get around 19 to 20 mpg in the city with my 132 k mile vulcan in the 96 GL. Its all stop & go driving.. about 12 miles a day..

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by E-ville Bull@Apr 19 2004, 04:22 PM
The europeans also drive mostly standard shift cars, thats why they get great mileage. Also, they dont have alot of big v8s in europe, the smaller the engine the better in their eyes. They also dig diesels.

-DC

·
Registered
230 Posts
well weight reduction will help as well. less mass=less work the engine will have to do=less gas used
as a side effect, it will also make you a little quicker

·
Banned
509 Posts
well weight reduction will help as well. less mass=less work the engine will have to do=less gas used
as a side effect, it will also make you a little quicker

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by FatTortoise+Apr 19 2004, 08:16 PM-->QUOTE (FatTortoise @ Apr 19 2004, 08:16 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit
@Apr 19 2004, 01:24 PM
When it wasnt wrecked we got (at the most) about 30-32MPG.. which was EXCELLENT. And that's *city* driving. Just ... you know.. keep up with your car.

I am guessing you never clocked your MPG.. I have a Vulcan, and it gets about 18 MPG. But 30! CITY!
[/b]
OK so I exaggerated
I'm just that proud of the vulcan. 25MPG highway (wrecked) and about 29/30 going to RI.

While the intrepid is at (its highest so far ) 18MPG (hehe.. lead foot what can I say?) and while it was leaking gas - 20MPG highway.. It was endless stopping for gas. I only stopped for gas about 4 or 5 times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing I noticed last fall is that I started getting about 1mpg less on average than usual. Then about a month ago, my mileage increased. I couldn't figure out why, but then realized that in the spring, gas companies switch to what they call their "summer" blend of gasoline. It's supposed to burn cleaner for the summer heat and reduce emissions. That's also why gas prices spike in the spring and early summer. I bet that the cleaner fuel is giving everyone about a 1mpg increase during the hotter months.

Another thing is that we've all heard that your air conditioner is a drain on your power and reduces your gas mileage. However, I'm no expert, but I've been told that once you go above 45mph, if you keep your windows rolled down, the drag that that would create wastes more gas than leaving them up and turning the air on. So if you drive long trips in the summer, you might want to try using your AC and see if it helps. Has anyone else heard of this, or is anyone willing to do the experiment?

G

·
Originally posted by E-ville Bull@Apr 27 2004, 11:36 AM
Another thing is that we've all heard that your air conditioner is a drain on your power and reduces your gas mileage. However, I'm no expert, but I've been told that once you go above 45mph, if you keep your windows rolled down, the drag that that would create wastes more gas than leaving them up and turning the air on. So if you drive long trips in the summer, you might want to try using your AC and see if it helps. Has anyone else heard of this, or is anyone willing to do the experiment?
I've heard this, too. I believe it.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
My car's milage also dips a little when it gets cold out. I'll go down to about 21 mpg as opposed to 24-25 during the summer. I rarely ever use the AC, unless the girlfriend or the parents are in the car. I just like the windows much better...

JR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts