Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can one expect?

Since my purchase and subsequent repairs by a long time trusted mechanic (new wheel bearings,front...air filter tune up, o2 sensor..complete diagnostics..i still only get 25 highway.

Is this normal for the Vulcan? Maybe I was un realistic to expect 30 mpg with this car on the highway

By the way, VERY light foot....especially while experimenting with the max gas mileage possible.

Only thing car needs mechanically is new springs (coming soon) Would THIS cause lower MPG?

Thanks guys and thanks for a GREAT FORUM...... Love the 'bull' and my first Ford in 20+years

Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
depends on your weather. Where I am (Buffalo) 25 is good for this time of the year. In the spring, summer, fall I get around 28-30 hwy. In the winter you can expect less gas mileage due to excess idling, warming up the car, etc. I don't even thnk i get 25 at this time of the year.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Right now, I am getting between 24 and 25; in the summer, I get up to 28...29.1 is my best so far. It's fun to see over 450 miles on a tank of gas B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
My best average was about 29, all highway at about 70 in the summer. In the winter it gets worse...I probably get around 24-25 max right now doing about 75% highway.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I calculated it this week, but I kinda forget what the end result was :p... I went and got the results that I wrote down, and I got 9L/100kms or 26 MPG on an almost pure highway drive... Some people brag about getting 37mpg on highway with a Vulcan, but they are full of it!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I calculated it this week, but I kinda forget what the end result was :p... I went and got the results that I wrote down, and I got 9L/100kms or 26 MPG on an almost pure highway drive... Some people brag about getting 37mpg on highway with a Vulcan, but they are full of it!
[/b]
Not necessarily. I was in Dave's old '01 SES (well, the LS for those in the know, lol) for the trip to Detroit and back last summer for ROTB, and we averaged something ridiculous like 33 or 34 mpg. That's with the air on the entire time and some city driving, and didn't exactly baby the gas pedal.

We calculated it a couple times and that's about what the Scangauge said too...it would have definitely done better if we had done pure highway miles and slowed down.

That car was also abnormally quick for a stock Vulcan - I still think it was a factory freak for some reason.

My car can't break a 30mpg average to save its life, and it's slower than the LS :lol:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Not necessarily. I was in Dave's old '01 SES (well, the LS for those in the know, lol) for the trip to Detroit and back last summer for ROTB, and we averaged something ridiculous like 33 or 34 mpg. That's with the air on the entire time and some city driving, and didn't exactly baby the gas pedal.

We calculated it a couple times and that's about what the Scangauge said too...it would have definitely done better if we had done pure highway miles and slowed down.

That car was also abnormally quick for a stock Vulcan - I still think it was a factory freak for some reason.

My car can't break a 30mpg average to save its life, and it's slower than the LS :lol:
[/b][/quote]

Mine can't either... I don't have a fancy onboard trip computer thingie though so I have to do my calculations the old fashioned way... Get a full tank of gas, reset the trip odometer and see how much gas it takes to fill back up after I do my highway drive... City driving is pretty pathetic... Just driving around for 20 minutes in the city eats about as much as an hour on the highway... Oh well, it's better than the Duratec :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Maybe his car and mine were produced on the same day!

I usually average about 14 around town, but I once had a tank of 33.6, and almost all of it was highway with fairly aggressive driving! During the winter too!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I got 32 mpg w/ 4 adults in the car w/ AC on cruising at 75 or so.... woohoo. now in the winter with warming it up I probably get low 20's.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
[/b]
Once again you have egg on your face... As Jim said my 01 got phenominal gas mileage and he was there to experience it when we drove to ROTB. That vulcan was unlike any other I've driven. Getting 400+ miles on a tank without even being remotely close to babying that car was easy as pie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Once again you have egg on your face... As Jim said my 01 got phenominal gas mileage and he was there to experience it when we drove to ROTB. That vulcan was unlike any other I've driven. Getting 400+ miles on a tank without even being remotely close to babying that car was easy as pie.
[/b][/quote]

Yea, that sounds like my '01. Gets about 32 highway with just me and a small bag of clothes in the car. If I only drive around town for groceries and such I'm lucky to get 20.

I used to drive the same 300 mile stretch of highway twice a week (once in each direction) for a few months and got about 2mpg better southbound than north. This was between Montana and Idaho, so traffic was not an issue other than the occasional jackrabbit under a tire!

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
According to the display my 91 3.8 wagon gets 99 mpg when coasting. Of course, it shows zero mpg sitting at idle. :D :) :lol2:

My 91 L wagon and 2000 and 2004 LXs, all with Vulcans, averaged 25-26 MPG in daily use, combined freeway and surface street driving. On trips, average mileage was 28-29 MPG.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
In my 3.8 I avg 18-22 in the winter, depends how much city driving is in there. usually 60% city, 40% highway.

In the summer im getting 22-24 same ratio, but 29-32 mpg highway.

vulcan should def. be getting better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Or maybe it was downhill with a tailwind.
[/b]
Yeah, that was probably it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is something that I noted even with my Ford Expedition, my girls 2007 Ford Taurus, my 1999 Ford Taurus, and even my Diesel 6.4L truck, during the winter gas mileage is horrible but performance is better. My car loves the cold air, if it gets in the 50s like it did one day, I can tell its not as fast, and is sluggish, where as when it gets like 30F outside my car is way more responsive. Chevys (I know a guy with a Pontiac Grand Am GT 03) seem to like hot air, and get less gas mileage during the summer, our work trucks that are chebbys are the same. However even my 1999 Ford Expedition that has a 2002 4.6L Modular P71 Interceptor package on it (I blew the original up) gets like 12mpg in the winter, but it will flat get up and go. I also noticed that if I use Premium fuel in my taurus my gas mileage is increased. I have a digital read out that plugs in called Scangauge2, and my 2007 has it in the dash.

So try premium fuel in the winter months gas is not bad price wise at the moment, and it doesn't appear to hurt the car at all. I can put premium and go from getting 23mpg in my taurus to like 26, and yes I've tested this. I have a lead foot to begin with, all the time but I did experiment once. I use to have a hydrogen gas setup on it but when I wrecked it awhile ago I unplugged it with the fear that the mechanics would know how to hook it back up when they repaired the vehicles front in, and I had the cables wired through that. Yes the hydrogen gas if you get the right mixture (each vehicle is different) does work, GREAT. I seen anywhere from a 10mpg increase when I was using it, and my car would smoke the tires with it.

On a side note the expedition does get better gas mileage with premium, and spark knocks when you give it ****** 87 octane, it gets like 14-15 with premium, and is a **** ton more responsive. My truck gets like 18 with a tuner, but its a 6.4L F450 Diesel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
anyone think this is odd? i just cant figure it out

putting in 55 liters my mileage is usually somewhere around 500 km.
that's around 9 KM/L

but when i fill up earlier, at 45 liters (3/4ths a tank), i'll have done about 450 km.
that's 10 KM/L

same trip everyday. this has happened on fill-up's more than once.
how does a heavier car use less gas? (as in, the further on in the tank useage i get, the less gas there is, the lighter the car is. sure, 90 pounds of gas isn't that much, but maybe...)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the trip computer, on long highway trips without running a/c and keeping it under 70mph trip computer says 29.4mpg at empty, same trip, a/c on +90 degrees, I get about 26.2mpg. City driving only, no a/c, about 23mpg, a/c on, city driving only I get a wopping 20.2mpg! But if I go long distance going 90+mph without a/c running, I can still get +25mpg. This car gets the same mileage as my old Buick with the 3800 V6, just not as much power, and without the breakdowns :banana:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts