Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currious what everyone is getting with these cars?
I just got my 2000 DOHC and on the first tank driving mainly highway I got 26mpg. Then I aired up all my tires to 40psi, changed all my spark plugs to the Motorcraft Iridium plugs for 3 bucks each & cleaned the MAF. At half a tank I got 312 Miles. It to 8.469 Gallons of gas to fill up the car. Divide 312/8.5= 36.7MPG. I can't believe it!! I can't wait to see if I can replicate this again. I didn't know these cars were so efficient on gas. The scary part is I haven't even dropped a K&N filter in the car yet.

Is this common?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am a little skeptical. The fuel gauge is not precise. What did you find out that only half tank was used? Did you fill about 8 gallons right at the moment after you drove the 312miles?

PS: I get about 27mpg on highway, cruising just above 70mph. I think these cars could get much better MPG if there was one more overdrive gear with a lower ratio. My parents Five Hundred gets over 30mpg on highway easily, with the same engine and a 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I fill up at 1/2 a tank in all my cars & always reset my tripometer. So I filled up at 312miles is what the miles were. It only held 8.469 Gallons. No granted I drive about 60mph everywhere I go unless I'm traveling long distances then I don't care about gas milage. If you're driving 70mph or so and getting 27 then yea for sure the numbers make sense. There is a big difference in gas milage between 55-60 & 70mpg in any car. Try it for yourself and you'll be amazed if you can keep your foot out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I have gotten 34 mpg in my Duratec wagon before. Typically though, I get between 20 - 25, depending on what I am doing. With all the mountains we have here, its quite difficult to best 25 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
i have my tires at 35 psi...isnt 40 a lil high?
I think 32 is what ford recomends, I usually run around 35 myself. If you look on the tires, they say they are good for 40 usually. It all depends on how wide your rims are and the ride you want. Fill the tires to 40, they give a little rougher ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think 32 is what ford recomends, I usually run around 35 myself. If you look on the tires, they say they are good for 40 usually. It all depends on how wide your rims are and the ride you want. Fill the tires to 40, they give a little rougher ride.

wont that cause premature wear like what the other people were talking about in the previous comments?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The absolute best I ever got was 41mpg on a 185 mile trip last year. I set the cruise on 65 and the road was straight and flat. But I usually get 27-30.

I just want to try and get 41 again because I've made that same trip numerous times since then and got around 35mpg every time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am averaging 25-28 with alot of 75+ mph freeway miles, most are not flat but I wouldn't call them mountainous either. I have had 1 tank in the last 70k that I had just over 30 mpg - I was pretty impressed....it was all freeway (70-81 mph)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The most I've got was about 33, usually it's 29 or so, with the Vulcan (At 70 mph). Like GASKICKER said, not flat, but not hilly either - Interstates rock!

EDIT: I keep my tires at around 36, seems to be pretty balanced for me. I don't like a too soft a ride, I like to feel SOME stuff. Never had a blowout yet (Well I have, but it was a bald tire on my old Taurus - At 11 at night on a back road and while I had a full size spare, it wasn't inflated apparently). I still monitor my tires, but they seem just fine. My sticker on the door says 29 PSI cold for some reason!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The most I've got was about 33, usually it's 29 or so, with the Vulcan (At 70 mph). Like GASKICKER said, not flat, but not hilly either - Interstates rock!

EDIT: I keep my tires at around 36, seems to be pretty balanced for me. I don't like a too soft a ride, I like to feel SOME stuff. Never had a blowout yet (Well I have, but it was a bald tire on my old Taurus - At 11 at night on a back road and while I had a full size spare, it wasn't inflated apparently). I still monitor my tires, but they seem just fine. My sticker on the door says 29 PSI cold for some reason!
Door stickers reflect the manufacturer's specified inflation for the tires, sidewall ratings are the MAX the tire can run at. I run mine at 35psi, getting 28mpg.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
I averaged 28.5 on a 3000 mile trip to / from the gulf coast of Texas a year or 2 ago with the 05 Tec. It was HOT HOT on the whole trip (summer) and the AC was in constant heavy use, plus the car was very heavily loaded with 3 people and a packed trunk. In "normal" driving around here I average 24-26 in warmer weather, and 22 or so December - March driving thru heavy snow, bone chilling cold, letting it run for 10 min in the mornings to thaw the windows, stopped dead in traffic due to slippery roads, taking forever for the TC to lock up, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts