Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one have problem with the regular gas we buy today at a gas station ,, i just filled up my mercury sabe 2 days ago and today i decided to top it off today and i only went 23.5 miles i set the trip meter and my car took 2 gallons to top it off ,, with this isnt this around 11 miles per gallon around town or am i doing it wrong ,,,eather some thing is wrong with the gas we buy or somthing wrong with my car ,, i had my car tuned up 5 months ago ,, my car is a 97 mercury sable 24 valve dohc motor ,, i used to afford buy the non ethonal gas i got way better gas milage ,, i think they are watering down the gas too much,, my car is rated 22 miles per gallon around town and 28 miles per gallon on the hiway

·
Registered
51 Posts
has any one have problem with the regular gas we buy today at a gas station ,, i just filled up my mercury sabe 2 days ago and today i decided to top it off today and i only went 23.5 miles i set the trip meter and my car took 2 gallons to top it off ,, with this isnt this around 11 miles per gallon around town or am i doing it wrong ,,,eather some thing is wrong with the gas we buy or somthing wrong with my car ,, i had my car tuned up 5 months ago ,, my car is a 97 mercury sable 24 valve dohc motor ,, i used to afford buy the non ethonal gas i got way better gas milage ,, i think they are watering down the gas too much,, my car is rated 22 miles per gallon around town and 28 miles per gallon on the hiway
i payed 5.29 a gallon regular gas,, it took 2.64 gallons,, it costed me $14.03,,,i only went 23.5 miles,, its a 16 gallon tank ,, i dont know how to calculate it

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't think checking mpg with only a 2 gallon test sample is going to necessarily be accurate. You may not have gotten the tank completely full on previous fill-up and when you filled up again, you compensated for it by getting more in than you used. I'd check you mileage after using maybe half a tank to get a better avg reading.

I haven't heard of gas being watered down with more ethanol for instance. Wouldn't surprise me, though. Back when I had the ability to buy both non-ethanol and 10% ethanol unleaded, I did my own studies and found that the ethanol blend would consistently give me around 15% lower fuel mileage than the non-ethanol blend. Imagine how much worse that must be using the E85 fuel?

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 131,500
423 Posts
What year is your car ?

My 2001 Taurus SE Vulcan ( @ 132.500 miles ) can only get 8 miles per gallon for local drives and probably 16-18 mpg on highways. I have a fairly accurate calculation, mine costs $.35 a mile. I am retired, use the Taurus mostly for 2-4 mile daily errands and 1-2 out of town trips a month.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What year is your car ?

My 2001 Taurus SE Vulcan ( @ 132.500 miles ) can only get 8 miles per gallon for local drives and probably 16-18 mpg on highways. I have a fairly accurate calculation, mine costs $.35 a mile. I am retired, use the Taurus mostly for 2-4 mile daily errands and 1-2 out of town trips a month.
97 mercury sable 24 valve dohc motor 133,000 miles ,, i was getting 11 miles per gallon around town,, really watered down gas ,, iam going to try new fuel injectors ,, when i used non ethonal gas i got higher gas milage,, wow only 8 miles per gallon

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
416 Posts
Don't try to figure your MPG from a 23 mile trip(s). Lots of factors contribute to MPGs - outside temp, windows up or down, AC usage, city or highway, driving style, condition of car, condition of roads, condition, pressure, and type of tires, even alignment can contribute to rolling resistance. And yes, the blend of fuel. Ethanol produces less energy output than more traditional blends of gasoline. Traveling across the country in July 2019, with a fully loaded down 1999 DOHC wagon (including a large, tall, hard, roof mounted carrier), 3000+ miles allowed me to get a good base. Because it was loaded down, I was sticking around 55-60 MPH, usually on cruise control. I noticed quickly that the area/states that had Ethanol in the gas my mileage dropped. Traveling now, on the highway, I see that if I keep it below 60 MPH my mileage goes way up. Around town, with starts and stops, shut downs and starts, I get about 13-15 a gallon. Combined with highway I'm getting 19, but if highway plans I try to leave early enough to keep the speed lower.

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

Reactions: Jeff K

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
What year is your car ?

That's pretty impressively bad. My 2000 Vulcan Flex averages 22MPG combined. I get something like 18-19 city and 28 highway.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
According to this source, for brand NEW Ford Taurus. Used 2001 Ford Taurus Specs & Features | Edmunds
EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy)16/25 MPG
Combined MPG19 MPG
I've always been able to beat EPA estimates in my vehicles. I think they just give you a baseline as to what to expect, but it's not necessarily accurate. My Mustang for example gets a confirmed 26-27 highway MPG which is higher than the EPA estimated 24. I typically beat the combined average of 18 they list too, but only by 1 or 2, depending on how much I put my foot in it.

With the Taurus I always drive the speed limit, accelerate super gingerly to preserve the transmission, and brake very smoothly and far in advance of lights to try to avoid stopping (trick you learn from manual transmission cars). So that's probably why I get really good figures. This is my fourth car too, and pretty much all of them have gotten really good highway mileage. My DOHC was the lone exception, it was definitely a bit thirstier overall.

But regardless, my point is that something on your car isn't happy if you can't even break 20mpg highway, or your average speed is 100mph, lol. But I remember your thread and all the issues, so I guess it is what it is. Better that it runs and drives.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 131,500
423 Posts
Things that make bad mpg other than driving practice.

Brakes dragging.
Tran not shifting on time, or not having the TQ not lockup.
My car moves without foot on acceleration, so it's NOT brake dragging. What's TQ not lockup ??

I could only get 10-12 mpg ( around town ) on my 2000 Toyota Tacoma last few years of its life before died on me @ 250,000 miles in January 2017.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think checking mpg with only a 2 gallon test sample is going to necessarily be accurate. You may not have gotten the tank completely full on previous fill-up and when you filled up again, you compensated for it by getting more in than you used. I'd check you mileage after using maybe half a tank to get a better avg reading.

I haven't heard of gas being watered down with more ethanol for instance. Wouldn't surprise me, though. Back when I had the ability to buy both non-ethanol and 10% ethanol unleaded, I did my own studies and found that the ethanol blend would consistently give me around 15% lower fuel mileage than the non-ethanol blend. Imagine how much worse that must be using the E85 fuel?
probally wait till its half of gas tank , when i filled up the first time when it was a half gas tank ,, i just watched the gas gauge go down fast driving around town ,, i did get the car tunned up and its the 24 valve motor , some times i can feel the missing and stop light especially when its colder out side ,, my friend thinks the fuel injectors are going bad , i do use fuel injection cleaner ,, and i will be changing the fuel filter soon ,, i did try non ethonal before it ran better and better milage but so expensive to buy, they are putting more ethonal in the gas makes a car worse on gas milage

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never observed any difference in mileage or drivability between ethanol vs non ethanol gas in my autos. I've tested it extensively over the past 20 years, in each one of my cars (25+). I have friends who are anal retentive who've done the same, with the same results.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My car moves without foot on acceleration, so it's NOT brake dragging. What's TQ not lockup ??

I could only get 10-12 mpg ( around town ) on my 2000 Toyota Tacoma last few years of its life before died on me @ 250,000 miles in January 2017.
That mileage seems reasonable for a pick up truck with that many miles on the odo. My brothers 2018 V-6 auto tacoma consistently produces 13 mpg around town, and he drives like a 90 yo priest.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts