Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yeah.... that's about the long and short of it.... the needle is stuck at just below half a tank, which would be why i ran out of gas on the way home yesterday.... :(
Doesn't even move when you fill the tank all the way up...

i found the following thread about replacing the float sensor
Float Sensor replacement

but seeing as how this didn't fix his problem... i'd like to know what to do before i go out and spend money... i'm kinda operating low budget here... really really low budget.....

I'm guessing i need to replace the actual gauge?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Can you move it with your finger? Did you install any aftermarket guage faces? Those can sometimes cuase the needle to stick if not properly adhered down.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Does the needle move at all? Like, when you turn off the key, does the needle go down to empty, then come back up when you turn the key on? If it's really not moving ever, then chances are, you need a new gauge. A problem with the circuit or the float will only act up when the key is on. Once you shut it off, the needle should drop down to the bottom of it's range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is your car an FFV? they have a unique relay behind the dash radio
dial, if not check the relay at the gas tank first.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.....

no aftermarket gauges, and i haven't opened it to see if i can move it with my finger...

needle doesnt move when the car goes off...

and nope, not ffv.......

so it's lookin like it's prolly the gauge, or possibly a loose/broken connection somewheres?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so..... before i go spendin money on a new cluster or just a new fuel gauge... anybody got any suggestions for connection locations to check between the float sensor the relay and the gauge?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
If it doesn't go down when you turn it off, then it sounds like it may be pushed too hard into the unit, and that it's stuck. See if you can pull it out a little and if it'll then go back to rest. If you try moving it up and it comes back to rest at the stuck position, then the needles out of place, or the coil inside that makes it move has been messed up.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
yeah, weird, i have the exact same problem now....well, starting 2 nights ago. it was stuck at 250 for a long time...and i filled up today, and it only seemed to fill up 250 miles worth...i'm wondering if i have that measuring problem thingy mentioned above

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so... i've got the dash all torn up, and i've been testing the gauge leads and the socket connectors on the cluster itself for continuity... nothing seems to be outta place, but then again, i'm not sure what 'outta place' would look like... i've pushed the needle around a lil, turned the car on and off, stuff like that.. it still sticks wherever you leave it.

So tomorrow i'm heading to U-Wrench-It to grab a new gauge assy. and see how that works out... just to test things out, i might try the functional gauge from the wagon and see if that fixes things before i go and buy another one.....

suggestions or questions are welcome....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k.... got two new fuel/temp gauge assy's and found one that worked.... so that was nice... then i installed a 120mph speedo from a 99se, :D ... been wanting one of those for a while... so it's all fixed, thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
just a note for anyone who searches for this topic... in the gen 3, the gas gauge needle doesn't go down to the bottome when you turn the car off. this is on my car anyway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts