Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Ford Taurus wagon 24v

ok symptoms: gas order in the car and stronger in the back, leaking small amounts of fuel near gas tank.

diagnosed: the plastic nipple that connects to high pressure fuel hose to fuel filter is defective. Splits in middle, while under pressure.

How diagnosed: took tank down , could not see any cranks or could not figure out from where the fuel was leaking. The only thing I notices was the the o ring for the gas tank was a little stretched out. So, I had to go to dealer to get a new one. That cost $10.00. The locking ring has a notch in the middle that meets with a notch on the tank. I did not notice it, so when I put the tank back on and filled it up with gas, guess what, yes super leak, on a hot summer day.. So, next day dropped tank , and discovered my error. I needed to see the fuel pump in action so after taking tank off, I moved tank to the passenger side of car. connected it to the power plug and got the pump working. With the pump in action, I could see the leak from the top of the nipple, it was uzzing out. I had to buy the complete assembly. None of the autoparts stores had it in stock, special order. $225.00 from Autozone.

Prior to all of this, i consulted a ford junk yard, that also do repairs. He told me that was the problem. He mentioned that this is a common problem with Taurus.

No special told needed, however, empty your tank by driving around, it is much easier. To relieve the fuel pressure, take the fuse out of the fuse box under the hood. Start your car until it turns off. Disconnect your neg cable from batery. Empty and clean tank before putting a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update, took the pump assembly back to Autozone. Cost $211.00. Tried my luck with a plastic epoxy thats sells for $5.00, available at autozone. It holds 9600 psi, and cures quickly. No problems so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts