Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which fuel system cleaner do you swear by?
I need to find a good one.........

I used to use Gumout "Regane" , but it seems like they've stopped making it now. I've had that fix all sorts of hesitation and stuttering problems in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I always have used the Chevron Techron stuff in all of my cars. I just ran 2 bottles of it through my sable and it's the first time I've ever noticed a difference after using a fuel injector cleaner.

If you really want clean injectors, take them out and have them professionally cleaned, they'll be like new.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Techron is definitely the way to go. It's really good stuff. I use it every 6K or so in the Sable, and always notice a little pickup after using it. Just make sure that your tank is as empty as possible...next to dry. It works better that way.

JR

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Finally some people with brains!!! I had a friend who owns a repair shop and a company paid him to do a study on injector cleaners. He went to Discount and bought one of EACH cleaner they had. He told me the ONLY one that made a difference was the Techron. All the other cleaners did very little or no good. He sells some stuff called 44k that is 44% Techron. Lets just say the cans have to be made of metal because they tried plastic and it would sometimes eat through the container. It's some nasty stuff, but so is the crap that builds up in your motor if you think about it. It can survive the heat of combustion! I used a can of 44k in my old 87 F-150 and it was like NIGHT and DAY difference. I could actually catch a chirp into 2nd gear, and I was unable to do that before. He is also right about waiting to the end of your tank of gas. The more concentrated the Techron is, the better it works.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Well, you're actually supposed to wait until the end of the tank, then at your next fill-up, put in the Techron and then a full tank of gas. That's according to the instructions on the back of the bottle.

93 Sable is right though...the only way to really get them clean is to take them apart and clean them like that. Also, since you have the Gen III 'tec, you have secondaries, and beacuse of the way the lower intake manifold and the injectors are situated, the secondary ports never get gasoline in them, so they never get the cleaners and detergents from gasoline. Beacuse of this, they have carbon build-up that you need to take the LIM off the car to clean out.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
considering it would eat through a plastic bottle...is it safe for the lining and sock in the gas tank?

The lining and sock in my grandma's 98 vulcan turned into black gunk because of something being put in the tank....Would any additives cause that?

I've used Redlines Total Fuel System Cleaner (think thats what it was called) As well as B12 chemtool. I usuall flush the engine with the B12 and then add the redline.... on top of that I use Restore...this combo has done me well...but I'm gonna buy some stuff today so I'll try the Techron for the hell of it

·
Registered
549 Posts
The Techron is good stuff if you are going with a "in the tank" cleaner. GM even buys the stuff and puts their own name on it to use and sell at dealerships.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
That Restore stuff is the crap that's supposed to bring your compression ratios back up to their "new-car" levels, right? Has anyone had good luck with this or have any compression tests to prove their results?

JR

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
When I had my tempo there was a noticible increase in performance....In the duratec I dont see it as much...but I doubt my Duratec is worse shape than that poor abused 2.3 was...

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I used 44k in my '95 with about 140k on the car and about 80k on the motor (don't know if the injectors where replaced or orig.) and I got about 1 mpg better economy.

-Jeff

Ps I costs about $20 for 1 can.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I have used Techron concentrate 500 miles before each oil change since I got the SHO. Last week, I dumped a quart of toluene into my tank. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 16 2004, 10:48 AM
That Restore stuff is the crap that's supposed to bring your compression ratios back up to their "new-car" levels, right? Has anyone had good luck with this or have any compression tests to prove their results?

JR
I have used Restore before with good noticeable results. I think the stuff actually dissolves the crud between the piston rings that causes blow by from what I have heard. I Don't like to use it thou, because all that glittery stuff in it looks like it would clog the oil filter. I don't think the crud build up would ever happen with a car that always had synthetic oil in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
before i came to my ford senses, i had a honda crv and i ran some
BP gas in it. it started sputtering so bad it felt like the plug wires
were crossed. icalled the dealer and they told me never to use
BP gas, and use the chevron techron, it fixed the problem
in 1 dayand the car ran like new. it is the majic car healer!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well I've been very satistied with the Chevron Techron cleaner. I used to put other additives such as STP or 0 to 60 Boost and they suck, which they dont do a damn thing but Chevron does. I was having bad mileage in my Sable and when I read in here that Chevron really cleans and its good then I wanted to try and damn I am very excited to notice the difference that made in my car. I really recommend the Chevron to someone who havent used it.

Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts