Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and i thought i knew something about computers lolz.

ok, so my friend at school called me yesterday and asked if I could take a look at her computer. I asked what was wrong and she said that it wasen't letting her log on.

so i go and take a look at it. (Btw this is a hp laptop runnin vista home premium, amd 64X2 processor and 2 gigs of ram)

so when this thing starts up, you get the blue screen of death, the specific error message is IRQ_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL. your computer has been shut down to prevent damage bla bla bla. So i try to boot it in to safe mode. Well that doesnt work either..you get the screen that shows all the files loading, and it always gets hung on crcdisk.exe, whatever that is. So then I tried to use the built in hp repair program. Well that doesnt work either, it boots up to a blue screen and the mouse, and thats it--it just sits there

just for fun i tried the dvd feature (hp laptops have it built in where they can boot straight to the dvd player) well that didnt work either

so im guessing that a reinstallation of windows is on hand--which isnt too bad since most of her stuff was backed up. but could this be a faulty hard drive? it's just that none of the boot options worked (last good config, safe mode etc.) I would hate to reinstall windows just for it to do the same crap again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since it sounds like a new PC, call HP tech support - You may get the call routed to India or the Phillipines, but they might have a fix.

Personally, I'll stick with XP, it may be old, but it is reliable!!!!

I would be willing to bet you do not have a hardware issue. HP may want you to send it in for repair. If that is the case, and you need to save information on the hard drive, a company called "Black Box" makes an adapter to connect your standard notebook hard drive to an IDE port. You may then go to a desktop PC, turn the desktop off, disconnect the secondary IDE cable from the CD or DVD drive (If so equipped) and remove the hard drive from the "defective" notebook. Connect it to that cable. If you do it this way, you don't have to mess with jumpers.

You should then be able to boot up the desktop, and the notebook hard drive will then be the D: drive, and you can back up whatever you need. I have done this many many times, sucessfully.

Put everything back the way it should be, and HP should either have you do a restore with the CD's or DVD that came with the computer, or have the computer shipped back for "bricking" (Their tecky term for complete restoration) and you can go from there.

And if possible, go with XP!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also use Ghost, and have built out literlly 1,000's of computer using Ghost. But if the OS is corrupted, like in this case, ghost may not work at all, as the OS needs to be somewhat functional.

Also, with this being Vista, yo probably need the latest and greatest version of Ghost. Bay adding this HSS as a secondary, you should be able to get the data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts