Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knew it would happen sooner or later..mymom was pulling out of the driveway early this morning and rubbed her front right against my left rear wheel all the way past the bumper.

Now, I got most of it cleaned up, except for a red line from my mom's car, scratches, two scrapes, a strange pit, all on the bumper panel, plus the paint is flaked just after the panel turns into the wheel well.

Took it to a body shop, they want $200 for a full repaint of that side of the bumper and claim nobody will be able to tell it was hit, or $100 for spot-fixes which will be spottable, but not easily.

Are these prices fair, or is my mom's friend cheating us?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I don't think $200 is too unreasonable as long as they fill and repair the scratches properly before painting and will offer a warranty to their work.
It wouldn't hurt though to get another estimate or two.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For the second time in 6 months, I was rear ended by women driving sport utility vehicles while sitting at a red light. The first one was on her cell phone, the left turn lane started moving (green arrow only) and she wasn't paying attention when she nailed the gas pedal and subsequently my rear bumper. Dealer repaired at cost of $400 to her. She was a real witch to me about the whole deal until I threatened to call the cops and she would have a following to close moving violation tacked onto her woes along with me insisting she go through her insurance.

Second one, last week, had her wet sneaker slip off the brake onto the gas, and of course into my bumper. A reputable body shop will fill the gouges, paint and clear coat the whole bumper for $200. She was extremely apologetic and went out of her way to make sure she paid for this. She was so upset, I told her not to worry, she hit my car not one of my kids. Can't get too emotionally attached to material things.

I've had a couple parking lot ding door repairs done for $200 ish on other cars, I think $200 is about the minimum for someone doing body work on anyone's car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I washed and waxed the entire car today, and I've decided that the paint actually isn't any more damaged than some other areas...thats what I get for buying a Fleet-used card. Now that I've plenty of pictures, I'm trying to find a place to put them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts