Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
...very cool looking headlights! Wow I like that B)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Market them :makeadeal:. Great job on them also.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
those look sweet.. glad i could sorta help with the oven idea...

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
wow jones real nice you need to make a write up for those headlight

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
I'm hoping to do this centennial headlight mod over the next few weeks...

A question for the members who already did it :

When you removed the side amber reflector, did you paint under it or was it left chrome?? :)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can someone tell me where to get the scuff pad?

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Any auto parts place should have it.
Later I found that Meijers also carries it!!

Here's a little extra trick as you get ready:

When you tape off the area, use painters tape. There's much less chance of pulling off any chrome coating when you remove it.
That's what I used!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
No clearcoat.
I used black semi-gloss only.
I wouldn't paint the reflector!!!
You need that chrome area to reflect your headlight out front!! :)

·
Banned
2,124 Posts
i think he meant the orange reflector piece. i also did not use clear coat on the inside just gloss high temp engine paint, mine has heald up all this time (idk how long but if i looked back on this thread i could find out lol) i did sand down and clear coat the outer part of the lenses though because when you paint them black it amplifies any scratches or hazing that is on them.

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Ah, you're right!!
I'm sure he meant the side reflector too!! :lol2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I WILL NEVER in my life open up another headlight to paint it. Lets put it this way, I started at 10:40, and im JUST now getting done. Still dirty, and messy. Over 3 hours. Im not to sure I even like the results, it made my lenses look so horribly yellow and nasty, and putting them in the oven seemed to bring out every little scuff and scratch on them.

After an HOUR of just getting them open, I tried for 35 minutes to get it taped off right, which im horrible at, so I said screw that, just painted it all, VHT'ed the reflector like I had planned though still.

I also used gloss black paint, instead of semi.

I cant get any full shots, because its in the garage, plus its pitch black outside, so tomorrow if I can get in a few before work, ill do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya
I did this month maybe a couple months ago and it took me all day maybe like 8 hours (im a noob).
Taping the side reflector was easy, but taping around the blinker light case was hard.
My paint turned out nice, but the line is jagged and not the most perfect looking light.
Also my lenses (which were already scratchy) turned really foggy and bad, but that was probably from me doing a noob wetsand job with 600 grit, thinking it will make them look nice (once again im a noob).
My actual bulbs were flaking and some got inside the casing, they've probably never been replaced,
and ebays got some centennials that i just pay buy after i try some tint on the headlights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[attachment=32124:pDR_0120.JPG][attachment=32123:pDR_0119.JPG]Heres my 96 LX Sedan I did a couple years ago along with a HID conversion... Bought them like this but plan on doing the set for my 99 Wagon now with the help of the oven tirck. Also I "Blacked Out" my tails for the 96 sedan with good ol Color Place paint from Wal-mart (since it gives thin coats.. I'll get a pic of them soon and post it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
[attachment=32128:0501091637a.jpg] Used Gloss Black Color Place spray paint (3 thin coats) wetsanding in between coats Then about 8 coats of gloss clear coat.. Brake lights and turn signals are still very visable. Been like that for a year and never pulled over.. Probably about $10 in supplies and all together maybe 2hrs worth of work

Attachments

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
dude, great write up :notworthy: Wow, seriously those little round metal clips for the gaskets, :censored: ! anyway, amazed how easy the glue came off, done in 3 hrs :dude:

121 - 140 of 163 Posts