Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> Wow you just saved me a ton of money. Thanks. Now the question is do I do this on my headlights and risk screwing them up or go to the junkyard just to be safe? [/b]
I would say junk yard just to be safe

I wonder how this would look on a G3 Sable :merc:
[/b][/quote]
I did mine black, and it looks bad-ass! The only thing i did wrong was crack my passengers side lens... :(
Will post pics after I get off my lazy ass to do it. hahaha :banana:
EDIT: Pics as promised:

Drivers side

Passengers side (cracked)

Close-up of crack

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was going to try this, but didn't want to mess up the assembly putting it back together. Not to mention but the outside clearcoat on the lens had started to peel and I had a little bit of yellowish color from moisture on the inside top edge. So I just bought a new set of centennials online. I can't wait to put them on my car. This spring can't come fast enough.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well okay I couldn't wait till spring for it to warm up. So I just brought the headlights inside and switch the bulbs over to the new housings. Other than I know I gotta get them aligned I gotta say they look awesome.
[attachmentid=27897]

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
has anyone done any gen 3 taurus lights and which part do you accually paint is it the same peice as the gen 4?and has anyone done any body color ones?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
No one has done this to a G3. Yes you would paint the same part (the outer housing, not the reflective part behind the bulb). Someone suggested painting it body colored, but I don't remember it being followed through.

·
Banned
2,124 Posts
if i do end up getting new housings for my retrofit i may be willing to paint the old ones chestnut

·
Banned
2,124 Posts
This would probably look great on my sable.
[/b]

hey if it looks great on mine i bet it would on yours!

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is really bad ass I am going to show it to my dad. Should look amazing on my dad's black car... and a front grille without the lame ford badge.... and not to mention some HID projectors retrofitted in there... pure awesomeness

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just wondering, no one saw any warping of their lenses with this mod? Thats the only thing I'd be worried about with doing this.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I tried the same method to open taillights and they warped pretty bad.... I want to do this mod, but I'm afraid I'll warp my headlight lenses too. :(

·
Banned
2,124 Posts
didnt have any problems with mine warping...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Wow, after reading through this tread I need to do this. There is a U-pull-it yard near here with a $50 all you can carry day coming up next month. I might have to take a look in there for a G4.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
they warp if you keep them in to long.. the glue is tough to get apart so alot of guys keep them in longer hoping it gets softer the glue and it doesn't.. you have to take a razor run along the bead of glue to get a cut started into the glue.. then put it in the oven get it softer, cut again, let cool a little bit then put them in again and get warm then cut again then pull apart with all your might.. prying with flat heads to get it started coming apart

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am from Germany and due to European laws here the HB5 bulb as well as the light reflector is not legal. :angry:
So the HB5 head lights must be converted anyhow. However I have already converted a 2000 Taurus wagon to German specs by cutting the whole lamp housing. I fixed it back together with a new European reflector inside, but it was an awful work. I sawed it just because the glue was too strong and I feared to break the glas. Now I converted our second Taurus, a 2002 Wagon flexfuel engine, and on the search for a more professional conversion I found this thread with the great hint to put the lamps into the oven to get the glue soften. Thank you very much for this great tip! That helped a lot to make the conversion job much easier. However for the most perfect light as possible I built in double beams now. Standard light I took from Mazda with DE-lenses technology. They are great at night. Anyway the housings of each light I had to manufacture on a lathe. At the end not only the light is much better than original but also the head lights look much more modern in my eyes.
Again many thanks for the final hint - greetings from overseas.

[attachment=29638:12130007.JPG]

[attachment=29639:12130008.JPG]

[attachment=29640:12130009.JPG]

[attachment=29641:12130002.JPG]

[attachment=29642:12130003.JPG]

Attachments

101 - 120 of 163 Posts