Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
this may make me sound like a moron, but what is the gold pad? or can i use any scuff pad
[/b]

its a gold scuff pad.. i got one from work.( i work at a body shop) . we have 3 kinds here.. red-rough, gray-med, and gold-fine.. the number on the box at work is from 3M #51131-07745..

you might be able to use other scuff pads but i used the gold scuff pad because i knew it wouldn't leave any scratches in the chrome plastic.. other rougher pads might leave marks and scracthes in the housing and the spray paint may not cover and fill the scratches leaving you with a crappy looking part. so try and find a really fine scuff pad that doesn't mark or scratch.

hope that helps

Ryan

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Any time man..

btw anyone who does this mod to their car please make a post in this thread and show your results and share what issues or any tips you have with the rest of us..

thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
The headlights look really good. How did you manage to pry apart the lens and the headlight assembly without noticeably bending/prying/marring the clear plastic lens?

I have a white 2006 Taurus and have been studying your pictures thinking how it would look if I used your idea and directions but painting it white instead of black. White background headlights and a chrome grill could seriously up the luxury look of my ride.

BuFu

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The headlights look really good. How did you manage to pry apart the lens and the headlight assembly without noticeably bending/prying/marring the clear plastic lens?

[/b]
the plastic lens is stronger then you think.. the back black plastic housing is weaker.. i bent the back black housing lip trying to get to the front lens lip but since it was hot from the oven i was able to bend the lip back down to the point where you really dont notice that it was ever lifted/bent up. hope that helps..

Ryan

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i didnt realize they made sandpaper that fine.

as long as you scratch up the surface you are fine, regular paint prep stuff

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
yeah 2000 grit is good for lightly scratching the surface... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
yeah they make 1500 IIRC and maybe 2000 :dunno:
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it goes down to 2000. I used the really fine stuff for my model kits.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
yeah they make 1500 IIRC and maybe 2000 :dunno:
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it goes down to 2000. I used the really fine stuff for my model kits.
[/b][/quote]
i always use 1000 grit on all my painting stuff

·
Registered
41 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
the plastic lens is stronger then you think.. the back black plastic housing is weaker.. i bent the back black housing lip trying to get to the front lens lip but since it was hot from the oven i was able to bend the lip back down to the point where you really dont notice that it was ever lifted/bent up. hope that helps..

Ryan
[/b][/quote]

So using the oven to heat up the headlight assembly makes it easier to separate the lens from the back without damaging either piece? Was there any mess from any excess OEM sealant on the headlight assembly?

BuFu

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So using the oven to heat up the headlight assembly makes it easier to separate the lens from the back without damaging either piece? Was there any mess from any excess OEM sealant on the headlight assembly?

BuFu
[/b]

yes... as for excess mess the adhesive/glue doesn't get that messy.. it just gets soft so they can be pryed apart..

would you need the same torq bit for removing the Gen 3 lens? and where actually did u cut the old silicone with the razor blade?
[/b]
dunno.. haven't had a gen 3 open yet.. i may go to the u pull it and pick up a set of gen 3's to mod..

as for cutting the silicone i cut into the glue going towards the lip of the lens... kind of hard to explain .. wish i had a picture to show you..

ryan

·
Registered
20 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

BuFu
[/b]

yes... as for excess mess the adhesive/glue doesn't get that messy.. it just gets soft so they can be pryed apart..

would you need the same torq bit for removing the Gen 3 lens? and where actually did u cut the old silicone with the razor blade?
[/b]
dunno.. haven't had a gen 3 open yet.. i may go to the u pull it and pick up a set of gen 3's to mod..

as for cutting the silicone i cut into the glue going towards the lip of the lens... kind of hard to explain .. wish i had a picture to show you..

ryan
[/b][/quote]

thats why pics are Great :thumb:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Another question for ya :D Do the orange reflectors come off, or are they a part of the headlight itself?
[/b]

the orange reflector comes apart from the housing.. the housing has a recessed area where the reflector goes.

41 - 60 of 163 Posts