Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 SE cluster does not have the outside temperature or compass direction illuminated in the bottom left corner of the digital LCD cluster. I've noticed that on some SEL's I've seen on eBay or otherwise have these feature(s) illuminated on their clusters.

Is this feature available on my SE, just a matter of activating it through a sub-menu of sorts? Point being I would like this feature on my Bull. What would I have to do?

BTW: I have a silver face gauge cluster coming in soon. Don't know if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Compass and temp was standard on the 04-07 SEL and LS Premium.
My silver cluster came out of an 04 GS, so I don't have it.

Michak, what did your gauge package come out of ?? :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (duraSEL @ May 6 2009, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723316
Compass and temp was standard on the 04-07 SEL and LS Premium.
My silver cluster came out of an 04 GS, so I don't have it.

Michak, what did your gauge package come out of ?? :)[/b]
duraSEL, you think I may be lucky?

DONOR VEHICLE
MAKE: MERCURY
MODEL: SABLE
YEAR: 2004
BODY: 4DR
STYLE: LS
COLOR: GLD/BRN
PNT/TRIM: C2/MH
ENGINE: 3.0L
TRANS: AT
MILEAGE: 27k
STOCK#: 0620p8

04-05 FORD TAURUS SABLE OEM SPEEDOMETER CLUSTER

I bought this cluster out right, hence the eBay auction for this item was closed.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
If it's out of an LS like it says, you might have a shot at the compass feature and maybe the temp if they had the temp sensor in your car. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (duraSEL @ May 6 2009, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723329
If it's out of an LS like it says, you might have a shot at the compass feature and maybe the temp if they had the temp sensor in your car. :)[/b]
Sounds Good. Nick said I had the temp sensor, so we'll see when it comes in. I'll plug it in and see what happens. Thanks duraSEL

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (michakaveli @ May 6 2009, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723330
QUOTE (duraSEL @ May 6 2009, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723329
If it's out of an LS like it says, you might have a shot at the compass feature and maybe the temp if they had the temp sensor in your car. :)[/b]
Sounds Good. Nick said I had the temp sensor, so we'll see when it comes in. I'll plug it in and see what happens. Thanks duraSEL
[/b][/quote]

As far as I know, the cars with the compass have the box module behind the rear view mirror no? No box = no compass I'd assume... I don't know why the car would have a compass on it for the on board computer... I know most do have the temp sensor though...

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I am still a bit questioning this myself....

I have the SE, and when you go into the Engineering Mode, there are 2 screens about that say:
COMPASS INPUT $NC
OAT TEMP NC C

To me, that implies the module is not connected. I would imagine, if these modules were installed and wired up to the cluster as the wiring diagram shows they do, then perhaps I would be able to add these capabilities. If my memory serves me right, the OAT Sensor is behind the front bumper somewhere, and forgot where the compass is...

I would love to get my hands on the wiring harness and parts to put into my car, and see if they would work.

Problem 1: I don't see 04-07 SEL's at junkyards yet.
Problem 2: I bet at a dealership, those parts aren't cheap, nor do they include wiring harnesses I could splice together.

I do not know if Ford was cheap and ran the wires all the same, but just did not put the modules in. I did not see a wiring harness behind my bumper, but maybe it connects somewhere else under the hood, or I just did not see it since I didn't take the whole bumper off, and perhaps it is hidden.

I know on my 95 Contour GL, I had wiring harnesses for fog lights, but then Ford removed a small interior harness that had the relays and connected to the Light switch. I added foglights to that car when I had it. So perhaps it could be similar to that?

Just like I don't know if the harness in the body of the car has the ability to support keypad entry, but the door harness just does not have it...

Sadly I don't know a whole ton, I have yet to take anything apart behind my dash :p

Though what would be cool, is if someone who owned an SEL was willing to find and disconnect the modules, and then run the Engineering test to see what happens. And post pictures of findings :)

I should find a rental 2004-07 Taurus :D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 7 2009, 09:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723561
I am still a bit questioning this myself....

I have the SE, and when you go into the Engineering Mode, there are 2 screens about that say:
COMPASS INPUT $NC
OAT TEMP NC C

To me, that implies the module is not connected. I would imagine, if these modules were installed and wired up to the cluster as the wiring diagram shows they do, then perhaps I would be able to add these capabilities. If my memory serves me right, the OAT Sensor is behind the front bumper somewhere, and forgot where the compass is...

I would love to get my hands on the wiring harness and parts to put into my car, and see if they would work.

Problem 1: I don't see 04-07 SEL's at junkyards yet.
Problem 2: I bet at a dealership, those parts aren't cheap, nor do they include wiring harnesses I could splice together.

I do not know if Ford was cheap and ran the wires all the same, but just did not put the modules in. I did not see a wiring harness behind my bumper, but maybe it connects somewhere else under the hood, or I just did not see it since I didn't take the whole bumper off, and perhaps it is hidden.

I know on my 95 Contour GL, I had wiring harnesses for fog lights, but then Ford removed a small interior harness that had the relays and connected to the Light switch. I added foglights to that car when I had it. So perhaps it could be similar to that?

Just like I don't know if the harness in the body of the car has the ability to support keypad entry, but the door harness just does not have it...

Sadly I don't know a whole ton, I have yet to take anything apart behind my dash :p

Though what would be cool, is if someone who owned an SEL was willing to find and disconnect the modules, and then run the Engineering test to see what happens. And post pictures of findings :)

I should find a rental 2004-07 Taurus :D[/b]
Kev,

How did you access these "screens" you speak of?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
okay then i have one question

i read in the manual how to activate the compas and when i tried nothing happened... i have an 04 sel

i can get the temp to display but thats it

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 8 2009, 05:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723614
Put the key in the ignition, Press and hold the reset button, turn the ignition to ON (Or you can start the car if you want), and you'll get it.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/t...nt=P9210424.flv

Here's a poor quality video I made :)[/b]
I tried starting the car and pressing (and holding) the "reset" button, to no avail. Only button that will do something after holding it pressed in for a little is the "info" button.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (michakaveli @ May 8 2009, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723629
Put the key in the ignition, Press and hold the reset button, turn the ignition to ON (Or you can start the car if you want), and you'll get it.

I tried starting the car and pressing (and holding) the "reset" button, to no avail. Only button that will do something after holding it pressed in for a little is the "info" button.
[/b][/quote]

hey would that hook right up to my 2002 i like those gaiges better lol or do i have to re-wire

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (michakaveli @ May 8 2009, 09:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723629

[/b][/quote]

Figured it out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE (02IowaBoy @ May 10 2009, 04:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723986

[/b][/quote]

hey would that hook right up to my 2002 i like those gaiges better lol or do i have to re-wire
[/b][/quote]
I like the guages in my 2001 way better than the 07 (Trade>LOL)-- I am pretty sure that the digital thingy has a whole bunch of differences from the 02's set-up..The best way to know is experiment on a salvage car

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (02IowaBoy @ May 10 2009, 01:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723986

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

No, it won't swap into your 2002.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the wiring diagram for the connector that plugs into the 2004-2007 cluster? I'm curious if there is a pink/black and red/orange wire that run into that connector.

I was looking at a different diagram that indicates the two above mentioned wires run from the thermometer, go directly into that connector for the cluster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts