Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having some issues hunting down performance parts i keep reading about. I have a Gen3 taurus, vulcan auto.

I was reading about rocker arms, underdrive pulley and possibly push rods? Where can i start to look to hunt down these parts.

*I am already planning on doing the intake manifold upgrade, 60mm TB from the DOHC and a Gen3 Sho exhaust(plus rear bumper). Plus a trans cooler and maybe a jet performance chip from summit. Those all look pretty easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this forum is extremely big or anything. Ive been looking on and off for 2 weeks and haven't turned up anything for performance parts for the vulcan. Just How to's for them

·
Registered
374 Posts
MoranaV6Racing.com:

- Roller rockers
- Cams
- Supercharger intake manifold (For Eaton M90 or M112)
- Box intake
- Ported OE intakes
- Stroker kits
- HD valve springs
- Ported heads
- Head studs

SHOSource:

- Underdrive crank pulley
- Tons of suspension goodies (What good is it to go fast if you have to slow down for a corner?)

StuffForYourRanger.com:
- Anodized dress-up pulleys, not all are usable, and definitely do not use their underdrive crank pulley (Ranger and Taurus crank pulleys are vastly different).

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
SHO source has some of the stuff, Tom Morena has Vulcan upgrades.

The JET chip from summit is unlikely, The best and really only performance flasher for the 3rd gen that I know of is the SCT xCal. One of the guys here has tunes for them.

For the trans cooler, don't go for just any cooler, go for the B&M Supercooler. They are as efficient as a fin and tube cooler of nearly double the size, basically you get more cooler in a smaller package. Get the largest one that will fit in the available space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have the largest size B&M transmission cooler and B&M transmission temp gauge. Just waiting for a warm enough day to tear apart the front end to install it. Its still pretty cold here in michigan.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Can't say I was that impressed with B&M's gauge. Its a good enough gauge, the the unit will supposedly fit into a line with those stupid compression fittings, guess what, it doesn't. If you get a good seal, its almost more by luck. If you can get the metal tube flared and use a flare fitting, that is much better. That would involve taking the lines off the car, having the proper fittings brazed on, then put it all back together, finger tight, then 1/4 turn. Not sure if you want to do that or not. If you can put the sender in the transmission itself, that in my opinion is better, probably more accurate too. You can either put it in the pan, or I think there is a threaded port somewhere you can fit or adapt it to. Either way would be great, but if doing it int he pan, just remember you have to remove the pan sometimes, make sure you can get to it, and make sure its not going to get damaged by getting hit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its just a guage as long as it works im happy, if not ill save up for a autometer.

As for position i was going to put it in with the cooler lines but ill look for that plug to put the sensor into. If not ill look into doing it into the pan. It shhouldnt be to hard, just how messy i want it to be. will the sensor be grounded to the body if i put it into the pan or will i need to soder a ground to the side?

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Devanmc, click on the topic finder at the top of this page and scroll down to the transmission section. Theres a couple of temp gauge tutorials which might interest you. Qwertz compiled alot of useful info in the topic finder. Iirc, you can thread the sender into the EPC test port on top of the tranny near the battery box (1/8 in. NPT). Ground the gauge there using a large ring terminal and a nut to fit the 1/8 in. pipe thread. You can find a nut at a hardware store in a lamp repair kit. Might also click on the search button at the top of this page and type in something relevant and nose around. Or click on the home page, then click on wiki. More info there. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it sounds like im going to have the same issueas with my last car(grounding the temp gauge) and come up with something like you said.

thanks for the input, I saw that and it is a HUGE list. Itll take some time to look threw it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
seeing as a custom cold air intake must be made, the 60mm TB swap makes the inlet into the maifold 2.36" and the maf is like 3-3.5"(I havent made a good measurement). That being said 2.5" intake piping should not be a restriction. as in, 2.5" CAI is more the big enough right? Is this line of thought correct or should i use 3" piping?

Ill be running it far down into the bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts