Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple weeks ago I changed out the fuel tank and pump on my 96 Sable. Took a few pics.

Before. The factory straps had some sort of rubber coating which seemed to trap moisture, which rotted out the tank and the straps.

This is with the tank out, new straps in. Fuel lines on the right side, by the filter. The wire harness is there too, goes up into the grommet. The straps are different from side to side, held in with 13 mm bolts on the rear. The black deal hanging down goes into the tank, just pushes in.

Here is the old tank. Not shown is the rat's nest that was just to the right of the large hole, where the sending unit etc. is. The middle hole has a fitting that twists out, which is still attached. The larger hole to the right is for the fitting still attached to the car.

New tank, all shiny. :thumb:

View looking out from the middle of the car. New fuel filter installed. This one came with clips. Wire harness and plug are right on it.

View looking more rearward. Black deal with metal bracket attaches to rear of tank with 8 mm bolt.

Sending unit, all apart. New fuel pump was $110 or so, new sending unit was well over $300. :angry: IIRC, 5.5 mm bolts hold it together. The pump itself is the gold colored cylinder with the black ends. The float is to the left and below.

And here it is, all back together. Reused the hoses that go into the tank, filler and vent.
Admin-Mods, feel free to put this in wiki/encyclopedia as you see fit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually the undercoating is the start of the problems, especially here in the Rust Belt. Winter salt accelerates the process. I had a 1987 Mazda 323 wagon. The trailing arms were coated. Over the years water got in under the coating and rotted the arm right through. Wondered why there was some banging in that corner when I first drove it. :lol2: :noes: The gas tank straps had a rubber coating on them. The straps were junk, and the water being in there had rotted out the tank. My dad had never seen coated straps like this car had (almost 50 years working on cars).

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The coating is to prevent the two metals rubbing together. It's a good thing. You should have painted the tank if you were worried about rust.

FWIW, any mid-nineties Mustang pump works, but the harness plug has to be swapped out which is only two wires. I bought a 190LPH Mustang pump for $60 and put it in my old GL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts