Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I am new to the forum and would be grateful for some insight into issues that I am having reinstalling the factory radio in my 1995 Sable LS wagon. I found a thread from 2007 that touched on this subject for a 1996 Taurus (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...l/123390-help-reinstalling-factory-radio.html) and have followed the advice given there, but would appreciate knowing if anyone has more specific guidance.

My Sable has the Ford "Premium" sound system with the AM/FM tape deck labeled "automatic." I ordered a new JVC radio from Crutchfield last week in order to have a direct jack in for my daughter's iPod. I followed the installation instructions carefully and to the letter; this included removing the factory radio; locating and bypassing the factory amp/RCU behind the left rear wheelwell; and carefully splicing and soldering the new Crutchfield harness to the receiver's harness and connecting the new receiver. The new receiver was disappointing in several respects, partly because we didn't like the way it operated and in part because -- either through my error or its problem -- it had very poor reception of powerful local radio stations. (The antennna was connected and the mast raised when I powered on the radio, but reception was terrible, and hours on the phone with Crutchfield could not resolve this.)

I decided to reinstall the factory radio. I popped out the JVC, painfully reconnected to the factory amp (which is behind a large metal plate and is virtually inaccessible), and then reconnected the factory radio -- the power plug, the two speaker plugs and the antenna plug. I then put the radio back in the dash.

The result: (1) the radio is illuminated but will not power on; (2) the clock is not illuminated (or is not working); (3) the interior courtesy lights do not come on when you open the door, nor can you turn on the lights manually; and (4) the keyless entry pad is not working. These all worked fine before I disconnected the factory radio in the first instance, but I am embarassed to say that I do not recall whether they were working during the brief time I had the replacement JVC receiver in the dash. They do not work now. I have pulled the radio out, rechecked the connections, and also gone back and rechecked the connection at the factory amp. All look secure to me.

I disconnected the battery when I installed the JVC. However, in my haste, I did not disconnect the battery when I reinstalled the factory radio, if that offers possible clues, such as to my having shorted the radio. (That said, if I had shorted the radio, I would not expect it to illuminate but perhaps it can have been shorted out and still illuminate; I simply don't know enough about the car's electronics to make an informed guess.)

Does the failure of these particular items all at once point to a specific culprit -- a blown fuse? A missed connection? I provided way more detail than I probably needed to in the hope that it might help others diagnose my problem. Thanks very much in advance for any and all views.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
It is classic blown fuse. You probably shorted the constant hot that keeps the radio memory for presets and time. Easy fix. (The illumination circuit is a separate connection/fuse.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. It was indeed a blown fuse. I replaced it this afternoon and it solved all my issues. I appreciate the quick response and guidance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts