Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i was going to look for a job
and i got about three miles away from home and my vss (that i was thinking was fine) started acting up again i stoped at the gas station and it was working i left the gas station and i noticed it was shifting not right. so pulled over and let it sit for a few minutes. then i decided to take off and head to my destination still nothing but then it jumped to 10 mph then back to zero she did that again then it was 20 - 30 mph then to the speed i was going then it started hooping down 40 - 30 30 - 20 - 10 10 - 0. so i did the same thing pulled over and let it sit then she was ok i have noticed some thing when i go around 60ish she acts up if i stay around town she is fine so i am thinking it could be the vss sensor who agrees with me? or could i be wrong

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
could it be heat related or a short in the sensor when it reaches 60 mph

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Intermittant VSS signal to speedo, PCM, etc is a sure sign of a failing VSS. Could very well be heat related.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Quit fartin' around and change it already!!!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
If you don't replace it you will soon do irreparable harm to your transmission. All of that weird shifting can't be adding to its life.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
At least you were probably able to reach yours from the top! On the 3.8L Essex, you can only really get to it by dropping the y-pipe and jamming your hand up in there to feel around. (The smart thing would have been to drop the rear two subframe bolts, but I don't have access to a two-post lift.)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
At least you were probably able to reach yours from the top! On the 3.8L Essex, you can only really get to it by dropping the y-pipe and jamming your hand up in there to feel around. (The smart thing would have been to drop the rear two subframe bolts, but I don't have access to a two-post lift.)
You don't need a lift to drop the subframe. 2 jackstands for the frame and ramps for the rear wheels will do nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts