Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are having intermittent bogging/stalling problems,reports wife.
The positive and negative terminals both have large cabbage heads on them, Now, when we got the car I replaced + cable from the starter to the mega fuse box and - from battery to engine. Now, it also threw a KAM failure, which can also be caused by a bad ground. Are there any hidden ground locations that I should have a look at

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Terminal corrosion is evidence of corrosive gasses releasing from the battery during heavy discharging. You need to determine why this is happening first.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You need to clean both battery posts & cables of that corrosion & as WJC suggested, investigate whats going on with the charging system & battery.
So maybe consider running this puppy by your favorite autoparts store for a no cost electrical system checkup, with all components in the vehicle, via their portable elecrtrical system tester. Properly used, it can load test the alternator, battery cables & connections & probably sniff out any problems with any of those items.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
How old is that battery? It might be just me but I've never had an acid buildup problem on a battery in good condition.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Use baking soda mixed in warm water to neutralize the acid.

Inspect the connectors closely - my other car had corrosion so bad the (+) connector came off in my hand. When the effective thickness of the connector gets to that point, you won't have sufficient ampacity to turn over the starter.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The alternator could be overcharging the battery causing the outgassing, +1 for chart and pawpaw's suggestion on getting the electrical system checked out. KAM fuse is also the A/C clutch fuse IIRC, check the fuse to make sure it's not blown.

Troy.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Use baking soda mixed in warm water to neutralize the acid.

Inspect the connectors closely - my other car had corrosion so bad the (+) connector came off in my hand. When the effective thickness of the connector gets to that point, you won't have sufficient ampacity to turn over the starter.
Re to rick

I prefer household ammonia. It is a caustic but is a gas dissolved in water. When it evaporates it leaves nothing. Also good cleaning agent so removes dirt. As opposed to soda which leaves white residue.

Keeps you awake while doing it.:lol2:

Just my preference.

-chart-

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've never used ammonia but certainly it should work as it is a strong base. And it will definitely clear your sinuses as well.

I wouldn't think a soft-drink would work well since at best, it is a solution comprised of a weak acid from the carbonation. And the sugar would attract ants :D.

Unless you use a diet version.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I've never used ammonia but certainly it should work as it is a strong base. And it will definitely clear your sinuses as well.

I wouldn't think a soft-drink would work well since at best, it is a solution comprised of a weak acid from the carbonation. And the sugar would attract ants :D.

Unless you use a diet version.
Here is why I found ammonia quite useful.

Pic attached is an old clock movement I was trying to restore. The oil had acccumulated dirt and hardened so all shafts were stuck and quite dirty. I tried to clean it with kerosene, brushed it with art brush on and one with no success. In the pic I dipped it in a bowl of ammonia half way for 20 mins. Then dipped the other half same time period. Bow it out with low pressure conpressed air, sun dired, oiled and it has been running two years. Also removes oil stains from my lathe and does not effect paint. I have cleaned elcetric circuit boards that way with success.

Just a thought.

-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts