Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 02 Taurus wagon SE with a slipping tranny. I’m down for the swap but I need to know what specifically I can use as a transmission replacement, all this ax4n and ax4s has me really confused.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
AX4S is 17 bolt trans pan, while AX4N is 19 bolt. AX4N pans also have "AX4N Metric" stamped on them, while AX4S will have "AOD Metric". There's also a way to check on the VIN but I forget. For trans swaps, you need to stick with the one your car was shipped with, you can't swap between the two (at least not without a lot of extra work). There are also year to year changes with some of the electronics, for example you wouldn't be able to use an 04 or later trans, but an 03 should be OK.

Most vulcans have the AX4S, but it's not guaranteed. Especially on 02 and 03, by then the AX4N was more common. By 04 I believe the AX4S was gone forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AX4S is 17 bolt trans pan, while AX4N is 19 bolt. AX4N pans also have "AX4N Metric" stamped on them, while AX4S will have "AOD Metric". There's also a way to check on the VIN but I forget. For trans swaps, you need to stick with the one your car was shipped with, you can't swap between the two (at least not without a lot of extra work). There are also year to year changes with some of the electronics, for example you wouldn't be able to use an 04 or later trans, but an 03 should be OK.

Most vulcans have the AX4S, but it's not guaranteed. Especially on 02 and 03, by then the AX4N was more common. By 04 I believe the AX4S was gone forever.
I’ll check out the pan tomorrow in the day, thanks a lot man! Super excited to get this beast machine on the road

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Or you could look at the driver's door jamb sticker. Under TR, if the letter is L, you have an AX4S and if it's an X you have the AX4N

·
Registered
23,483 Posts
I'd consult/cross reference a Hollander catalog (available online and most junkyards) to make sure which years are compatible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts