Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus SES Vulcan Engine OHV.

When I start my car in the morning it runs for about 3 seconds and then fuse 18 blows and the car idles too low and then dies.

When I turn on the A/C fuse 18 also blows within seconds and it then refuses to idle and will also die.

What is going on? What do a cold start and turning on the A/C have in common that is causing fuse 18 to be blown?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well the AC clutch power is supplied by the same fuse as the oxygen sensors. You may have a melted oxygen sensor wire on the exhaust , AC clutch power wire or shorted clutch coil
I went to ford and they told me my A/C compressor is seized.

==============

In the morning after the cold start blows fuse 18 I can replace the fuse and then it works fine again until the next morning or until I turn on the A/C.

What's up with that?

Font Monochrome Monochrome photography Close-up Number

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Looks like it was diagnosed by tech. Does it blow the fuse when the climate control is in the off position. AC will come on if it is in the upper vent position also. I assume you have manual climate control? If you don't want AC then you can pull the AC clutch relay from the power distribution box in the engine compartment .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like it was diagnosed by tech. Does it blow the fuse when the climate control is in the off position. AC will come on if it is in the upper vent position also. I assume you have manual climate control? If you don't want AC then you can pull the AC clutch relay from the power distribution box in the engine compartment .
Thanks again for replying Automender.

=================================

Fuse 18 does not blow when the climate is set to OFF even with the relay 33 still in there. I think the upper air would work too because that is not AC. I know that the upper and lower air setting will cause the AC to turn on too like you said, so I don't use that one either.

After I removed relay 33, fuse 18 no longer blows when I set the climate to any of the 3 A/C settings.

I will update tomorrow morning as to whether or not a cold start still blows fuse 18.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't think of any reason that you should have an issue with cold start. If the AC fuse is blown you should also be getting a check engine light because that circuit also supplies the heaters for the O2 sensors.
I'm having issues with a cold start where even if the A/C is off it will still blow fuse 18 in the morning. No idea how this is happening and I hope removing the relay will fix it and that changing the A/C compressor will also fix it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cold start works fine and does not blow fuse 18 anymore.

Do you think that I should replace relay 33? I looked online and don't see and ford parts for this relay it is all after market. I don't know how well those will hold up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the relay is most likely not your issue but either a short wire to the AC clutch or a shorted AC clutch. You can pull the connector on the clutch and reinstall the relay and if the fuse blown then it's a wire issue, if it doesn't it is a clutch issue.
I'm having the whole AC compressor replaced tomorrow. I think that includes the clutch. I hope that will fix both of those issues even if I am only having one of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts