Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is in the USMC in Afghanistan, and we send him care packages in USPS flate rate boxes. The APO/FPO flate rate boxes have a weight limit of 70 lbs, so to add some laughter to the situation, I sent him a sony PSP with games, along with some other personal items, all packed in ziploc bags, then used sand to fill the box to the top. (makes a great packing material)

Anyone got any other silly ideas? I'm thinking concrete next.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Empty the contents of the vaccuum cleaner into the box

Sticks and twigs. Rocks from outside. Maybe a caterpillar

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ Jul 8 2009, 11:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737940
Empty the contents of the vaccuum cleaner into the box

Sticks and twigs. Rocks from outside. Maybe a caterpillar[/b]

Ooohh, grass clippings make a nice smell after being warm for a few days. It would give USPS hell too....

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I know from FB that one of my friends who was over there recieved a blow up doll...they put it in the Hummer :lol2:

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Spencers gift stores around here used to have "inflatable party sheep" for those guys who couldnt get dates. We bought one for a co-worker who owned a farm, dressed it up and put it in his car while at work..... :lol2:

[attachment=30033:Baaaaaad_date.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm hittin' spencers, he's getting a blow up- something :dunno: probably surrounded by condoms and concrete

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Blow up something, condoms and concrete? sounds like a party to me! :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldnt find any inflatable "novelty" farm animals at Spencer's so I got him a game called "**** Fight". You attach an oversized variation of the male anatomy via velcro and the objective is to knock off the other player's member. It is packed in a flat rate box with concrete.

His sargent is going to recieve a "Gum job granny" love doll surrounded by sand. He's probably going to contemplate murder :lol:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
then used sand to fill the box to the top[/b]
Then you wonder why the rest of the world gripes about USPS raising stamp and shipping prices!

Why waste the good space, Some Auto or Pron mags or DVD's, cartons of Cig's, extra tooth paste, 5 hours enegry drinks, family photos, clean new socks, anything usefull would have been a better choise.

I wouldnt find it funny to open a box of stuff filled to the top with sand! I would be pissed if that sand got all over my bed, table or work area's!

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
:salute: There's already sand on their bed, table, work area, etc. It's not imported, either.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ Jul 23 2009, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741496
Then you wonder why the rest of the world gripes about USPS raising stamp and shipping prices!

Why waste the good space, Some Auto or Pron mags or DVD's, cartons of Cig's, extra tooth paste, 5 hours enegry drinks, family photos, clean new socks, anything usefull would have been a better choise.

I wouldnt find it funny to open a box of stuff filled to the top with sand! I would be pissed if that sand got all over my bed, table or work area's!

[/b][/quote]
It's a flat rate box, they say load it with up to 70lbs and ship it. Their words, not mine. I don't bitch too much about shipping prices, but if you want an example, 12 pounds to canada at $50 is ridiculous, but I paid 'em- they force priority on you, no ground. So when it comes to shipping, I'll take their free box, pack it with 69.5 lbs as they agree to and pay them their flat rate. I might even insure it.

And I even put "sand" on the contents declaration, and I'm pretty sure he can read. I've never once seen him pick up a magazine in my life, he doesn't smoke, energy drinks arent his thing- especially when it's 120 degrees, his wife shipped him socks the week before. And I did include some personal stuff, in fact, everything he asked for plus some- including the PSP and the 2 dozen games that time and the 78 games he's getting this time.

I'll add, if he emails or calls me needing anything at all, I'll send another package tomorrow. I have a case of APO/FPO flat rate boxes here.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I think its great that your sending your brother items, its a good thing to support all the troops!

But i think your missing my point, A waste is a waste no matter how you spin it! You may think it only cost you a flat rate to ship that sand overseas but your missing all the assioated cost. Cost that ultimatly get passed down to you, me your brother and every other tax paying american!

"Once Military Mail arrives at the respective mail processing facility, it is further sorted by Postal Service Center, APO/FPO and ZIP code. After that, the USPS "hands it off" to their Military equivalent in a branch of the Armed Forces after transport via contract air carrier and delivery to the overseas APOs and FPOs. For APOs, either the Army or Air Force provides personnel. For FPOs, the Navy does the job.
At each APO or FPO, there is an equivalent to "a-real-honest-to-goodness-Post Office" staffed by members of the respective branch of service."[/b]
WHO DO YOU THINK PAYS THOSE GUYS?

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jul 23 2009, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741502
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ Jul 23 2009, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741496

[/b][/quote]
It's a flat rate box, they say load it with up to 70lbs and ship it. Their words, not mine. I don't bitch too much about shipping prices, but if you want an example, 12 pounds to canada at $50 is ridiculous, but I paid 'em- they force priority on you, no ground. So when it comes to shipping, I'll take their free box, pack it with 69.5 lbs as they agree to and pay them their flat rate. I might even insure it.

And I even put "sand" on the contents declaration, and I'm pretty sure he can read. I've never once seen him pick up a magazine in my life, he doesn't smoke, energy drinks arent his thing- especially when it's 120 degrees, his wife shipped him socks the week before. And I did include some personal stuff, in fact, everything he asked for plus some- including the PSP and the 2 dozen games that time and the 78 games he's getting this time.

I'll add, if he emails or calls me needing anything at all, I'll send another package tomorrow. I have a case of APO/FPO flat rate boxes here.
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So..... I should pay the same and ship less? I believe the laugh he, his peers, and his superiors got out of it was worth the "associated cost". In fact, they requested me to send his sargeant a box of sand, once again, for a laugh.

Also, I might add, my ~24 lbs of playground media shipped overseas is one of the last things we should be worried about. How about the trillions of dollars that went up in smoke a few months back.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I am glad they got a laugh out of it! No I dont think you should ship less and pay the same. I am sure they have those flat rate boxes in many different sizes maybe find one that would fit the items you are sending and cost you less to ship! Or fill the box you are sending with more usefull/needed/wanted items. I am sure there are guys over there that dont have as good of family support as your brother does, maybe you can ask him what some of those guys needs are and fill the remainder of the box with those items instead of wasteing the space sending sand to the desert!

Its not one of the last things we should be worried about, We have to pay attention to every part of it! A dollar here a dollar there its all our tax money, Personally i dont get a laugh seeing almost 40% of my pay going to the goverment to pay for useless wars and other people illigitmate children & healthcare Like i said a waste is a waste why add to the pile? Thats all i am going to say on the matter because its obvious you would rather use the boxes to facilitate a running joke instead of its proper intended use!

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
APO/FPO flat rate boxes come only in one size.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I wish we had the "THANKS" buttons :emo:

+1 mrcow32

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts