Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently I've noticed a large problem with my car. I will shut down the car and the the temp. or fuel (mostly fuel) gauge will just stick where it was. I then get back in my car (hours later) and start it up, the gauge is so far past the full or overheated mark. Its like when it gets stuck, that is equaling zero.

A temporary fix is to run the cluster into engineering mode which runs the gauge test. This brings the gauges to where they are supposed to be and I just shut down the car. It works fine until I shut it down the next time.

I think the temp. has done it 2-3 times total, and the fuel almost every time i use the car.

I hope this makes sense and I hope you can help.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When shutting the car off, the gauges still freeze. When turning it on, the gauges dont move at all. The ONLY thing that will work is doing the engineer test mode.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
At ON, do other lights come on?

I checked my 2005 wiring diagram. Temp and fuel gauges are directly connected to a microprocessor (#41). Terminal numbers are not identified. Apparently, sensors are fed to the microprocessor, which in turn feeds the two gauges (and safety belt indicator, tachometer, etc).

I doubt the microprocessor is plugged into a socket. Most likely directly soldered to the board. If that's the case, you will have to replace the whole instrument cluster (#10849).

Since the gauges work once through the engineering mode, replacing them is not going to solve the problem.

By the way, the microprocessor directly feeds check engine light, speedometer, tachometer, engine coolant temperature, low brake fluid/park brake light, charge light, low coolant level light, check fuel cap indicator light, fuel gauge, safety belt indicator, door ajar light. See if these warning lights come on at ON. If all these lights work, it's unlikely just the two functions (temp and fuel) are messed up within the microprocessor. You may want to clean up the connectors to the temp sensor. Clean both connectors with electrical contact cleaning spray, and put a light silicone grease on the metal. On the fuel gauge side, clean the connectors on the fuel sensor module (under the dashboard).

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ALL lights come on, EVERYTHING works except those two gauges. It is almost as if there is no grease on the gauge and it gets stuck

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
An analog meter has a small spring attached to the needle. When current is cut off (engine off), the spring should bring the needle back to zero. Since the needle is not returning to zero, we may suspect the meter.

What I cannot figure out is why the test mode restores the gauges. Does it flow a negative current so that the needle is pushed down to zero?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea....it still does it. Its like the needle is too tight on the gauge.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problems with the tempurature gauge lately. ONLY the fuel gauge, and only when the interior of the car is hot.

Any additional ideas?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't believe that there are springs in his model year taurus gauge cluster, they are simply stepper motors that take their directions from the ECU. Usually the gauges in these type of vehicles will stick when the engine is shut down. When turning on the vehicle the gauges will Zero out and be ready for opperation.

The first thing I would check are Fuses, also have the battery load tested because the taurus does some very interesting things when the battery is going bad.

Troy.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe a bad ground? Both of those gauges require a reference ground to operate properly.
Where would I find the ground connection?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The one for mine was just forward of the strut tower screwed to the inside of the fender in the engine bay. I don't know about Gen 4.5's though

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
On 2006, one right next to the battery, obviously. Another next to the coolant overflow tank, another on the firewall above the heater core area. I don't know if there are more.

·
Registered
282 Posts
does the 2005 have the module similar to the FFV for the fuel gauge ?

my 2000FFV had a bad module under the radio that would randomly pin the fuel gauge at past full

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
only FFV equipped vehicles had the fuel module that was located behind the radio / EVAC controls, my car was doing the same thing (Pegged at full) and it solved my issue. But the issue he is describing is not what the FFV's do.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The grounds seem to be fine. I wonder if it is just the instrument panel (at least the gauge motor) is bad.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Maybe the heat is causing the glue on the gauge faces to separate which in turn puts drag on the needles. A remedy for that is to disassemble the cluster and use a fork to lift the needle's base slightly off the gauge face.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts