Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the fuel pump/sending unit in my 1991 Taurus LX. It has the 3.8 engine and digital dash display. Most every listing I have seen for this combination say either with or without 18.6-gal tank, with/without digital dash.

My wife drives the car, and the most gas she has put in is 16.5 gallons but she dosn't remember what the gauge reading was when she put that much in.

My car has avery option available in 1991 except for leather and a console. I know that the 18.6-gallon tank was optional that year. I have not seen any fuel pump listings for the 16-gallon tank with digital display. So did the 18.6-gallon tank come with the digital display or were they separate options?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Get VIN

I bet someone here will know. But if you can't wait get your VIN and call a dealer.

If you wife says she has put in 16.5 gallons then I would bet it is the larger tank.

But you can guess...... you need to know. So call the dealer or maybe one of the Ford Techs here will chime in real soon.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
I need to replace the fuel pump/sending unit in my 1991 Taurus LX. It has the 3.8 engine and digital dash display. Most every listing I have seen for this combination say either with or without 18.6-gal tank, with/without digital dash.

My wife drives the car, and the most gas she has put in is 16.5 gallons but she dosn't remember what the gauge reading was when she put that much in.

My car has avery option available in 1991 except for leather and a console. I know that the 18.6-gallon tank was optional that year. I have not seen any fuel pump listings for the 16-gallon tank with digital display. So did the 18.6-gallon tank come with the digital display or were they separate options?
I was curious so I looked it.
Took maybe 30 seconds.

So I will share.

see pic.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how can I tell if I have the "optional upgrade"??????

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Wonder if the encyclopedia or vin decoder (fleet) would be of any help? Or Nick or Pawpaw? Or Ford, if they go back that far?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Scott, let me look in my 87 service manual...I seem to recall something about the VIN label in the door jamb indicating the tank...will report back in a few min.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ok vin label does not have it (has a lot of other info like radio, ac, color trim inside and out, etc).

Per my 91 Sable brochure:
"Electronic instrument cluster with speedo, tach, coolant temp, fuel gauge, trip odo, fuel/dist comp, and diag sys scanner...(includes extended range fuel tank)"
You have the larger of the two gas tanks.

Here's an 18+ gallon tank: NEW OEM GAS FUEL TANK TAURUS SABLE CONTINENTAL 86-95 | eBay
Here's a 16 gallon tank: NEW OEM GAS FUEL TANK TAURUS SABLE 86-95 NOS | eBay

Guess it's going to be hard to tell with it still mounted on the car.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Nick. Come to think of it, I have a 91 Taurus brochure laying around here somewhere. but I bet the situation is the same as for the Sable.

This is one of those instances where you don't want to guess, go through all the work needed to drop the tank, then find out you have the wrong part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts