Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sticking fuel tank vent valve on a 1994 taurus 3.8l with a 16g fuel tank. Called local ford dealership and they gave me a part # E9DZ-NB593A. But, they gave me the bad news that the part is obsolete. Getting a strong fuel smell near rear passenger tire after vehicle is driven for about 10min. or longer. No codes but the smell can get to you after awhile. The dealership said there is no updated part for this number and my local junkyard has no compatible vehicles. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have no vent valve listed. The one i have has two hose nipples one above another. One vents to atmosphere and the other goes to the tee fitting that goes to the purge solenoid and the other goes to the charcoal canister. Looking for something that will work for my vehicle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a sticking fuel tank vent valve on a 1994 taurus 3.8l with a 16g fuel tank.
Are you certain it's a faulty fuel tank vent valve? I'm asking because I had exactly the same problem last year. The smell was because that plastic "tee" fitting you mention in post #3 (located near the bottom of the radiator) was clogged with wax due to years of fuel vapor accumulation. It is a very common problem on your generation bull. It causes back pressure in the fuel tank vent, forcing raw gas fumes to belch out near the right-rear wheel.

It's easy to disconnect the tee connector and see if it is clear by blowing air through it with your lips. See this thread for detailed instructions how to clean it. I used a little rubbing alcohol and a sewing needle. No more gas smell!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts