Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

fuel tank straps

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  nbpt100 
#1 ·
I ordered fuel tank straps to replace my rusted out ones and when I got them they did not have the plastic coated rubber that the OEM has.

I was surprised and disappointed. So what gives? They did not even come painted. I am sure it keeps rattles noises down and prevents fretting.
can any experienced techs comment on how much of a difference the rubber makes?

Thanks

#4 ·
OK......you guys are saying they are just the steel strap without any rubber strip on the surface contacting the gas tank.??

I know my 96 sable has a thin rubber strip and then a very thin but tough plastic strip on top of that. My guess is the the thin top strip is a very low friction material whose intention is to keep the rubber from getting damaged.

The rubber is falling apart now as it is 14 yrs old.

Like sways bars- they may use what they have at the time in the factory.

#5 ·
Fuel tank straps

I am resurecting this old post. I have not taken any action on this matter, but probably should before long.

My 96 Sable fuel tank straps are now pretty rusted. As described the staps have a thin rubber material (~1/8") with a very thin low friction plastic film bonded to it. This is the side that contacts the tank( of course).

From the previous responses it sounds like Ford does not do this any longer(cost savings I suspect).

Can anyone say if it adds much value? Noise or anti-fretting???

I was thinking of buying some plastic film and bonding it to the straps. Not sure what I would use. It is just a thought at this time.
Is there much relative motion here to cause any wear?

What have others found and done.
Thanks

#6 ·
I changed my rusted, leaking tank with a tank & straps from Rock A.
New straps had no coating on them, as tight as they are on the tank I've had no sounds or issues. Tank is in rock solid. New tank and straps will now outlast the car IMO.
I did transfer the pads on the top of the tank to the new tank as those are potential wear points IMO.

#9 ·
Repairman,

Thanks for that input. I now feel more confidant moving forward.

Just out of curiosity, did your straps have any rubber on them?

I also got my repacement staps at Rock A. Did yours come painted?

Thanks again.
No rubber. Can't remember if they were painted, I don't thing they were.

#8 ·
Remember that the coating sooner or later will hold moisture against the straps which will rust them faster. :)

Sounds like the coating on our coil springs that helps them rust/break faster too?? :eek:

#13 ·
I used Rustoleum Fusion spray paint. It is made to stick to plastic and other difficult surfaces with out primer. I have used it on my windshield wiper arms and it has help up after 2 years of hot and cold seasons. Conventional spray paint did not last.

It will be an interesting test for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.