Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -
I purchased a 93 TaurusGL 3.8 a few months back and currently I am repairing it. Right now i have it up on stands while I'm working under it. While I was driving it, I noticed that I could hear the gas moving around in the fuel tank.(whenever I came to a stop) Not a major problem, but it is kind of annoying.

I have read old posted messages on the boards, and I saw previously someone commented on a "Technical Service Bulletin" had gone out about this problem. I know the TSB isnt the same as a recall, but does Ford have any liability for these types of problems?

Also, I have been pricing fuel tanks and I could purchase one from a local salvage yard for about $40. Does anyone have any ideas on deadening the sound w/o replacing the fuel tank? Would spraying some of that expanding foam/insulation stuff help?

Another thing, how would I know that the new tank didn't have the same noise problem? I looked it up and it looks like a 93' Lincoln Continental tank would also fit my car. Does anybody know if the Lincoln Continental tanks had the same noise trouble?

Sorry, this got kinda long. Any assistance would be a great help. I couldn't find too much information for this situation, but if it was previously covered I apologize. Thank You!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 93 Sable 3.8 that I also purchased a few months back. And I also hear gas sloshing around in the tank. I heard that it's because there isn't enough baffles inside the gas tank to keep the gas from sloshing around. I'm not sure if there was a recall or anything for it. Let me know if you find out anything.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well with a junkyard one, you could fill the thing with water and see if it sloshes.
WHILE it is NOT in the car.

Otherwise, you may just have to live with it, cause taking a gas tank apart and reassemble is probably not a good idea.
I say look for other makes that may fit your car, but mind the fuel pump, sending unit for the gauge, and dimentions...

You DO know that the bolts holding up the gas tank straps almost always break when removing right? Be prepaired to makeshift strap bolts, you may have to drill and stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts