Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
@Twin,

I let a local shop replace the fuel pump(i.e. Spectra Premium SP1119 Electric Fuel Pump) for me around 145,000 mileages. The pump was not completely dead but was time to replace based on advice from this forum.

Best.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
'95 Essex, two pumps, miles not remembered. Leaking at the hose from the pump to outlet inside the tank.
'01 one replacement pump, sold at 131K
'03 Sable sedan, just starting second replacement pump at 195K. Replaced under warranty. Not mine now.
'03 Sable wagon, one pump and now at 165K and running
'03 Taurus sedan 134K and OE pump.
'05 Taurus sedan 130K and OE pump.
All gave notice before fail.
-chart-

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
I sold my 500 with 235K on the clock, never put a pump in it. I do however refill my tank long before exposing the fuel pump to the surrounding air in the tank. I firmly believe keeping the fuel pump submerged is the best way to keep them alive. You will use the same amount of fuel to travel 1K miles whether you fill up at half a tank or wait for the empty light to come on, it's just one method strains the pump more.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
I sold my 500 with 235K on the clock, never put a pump in it. I do however refill my tank long before exposing the fuel pump to the surrounding air in the tank. I firmly believe keeping the fuel pump submerged is the best way to keep them alive. You will use the same amount of fuel to travel 1K miles whether you fill up at half a tank or wait for the empty light to come on, it's just one method strains the pump more.
Modern fuel pumps keep a bucket filled inside the tank so the pump is under gas until it is near empty. Part of the fuel pumped is used to push fresh fuel into the bucket and it over flows.
-chart-

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
What I have found is that you can expect 200k miles+ on Taurus that have a modulated fuel pump like your 2006. I have had five Taurus and all of them except the 2001 models lasted the life of the car, 200k miles+. The 2001 models used a one year only fuel system and both of those cars had pumps replaced at the 100k mile point.
Personally on my 2006 I had 100k miles on it and was going to Florida from Ohio. I thought I should install a new pump and purchased a Motorcraft one. Well I decided to rent a car and did not install the pump at that time. My 2006 now has 220k miles with original pump and I sold that Motorcraft pump on ebay. Just remember that when the car idles it is still using the fuel pump, so city driving is low miles but still long hours so you need to consider that.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
123 Posts
My 01 SES has the original fuel pump and still going strong over 100k on the clock.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Modern fuel pumps keep a bucket filled inside the tank so the pump is under gas until it is near empty. Part of the fuel pumped is used to push fresh fuel into the bucket and it over flows.
-chart-
Also on the Ford pumps the gas is actually passed internally through the winding, brushes and armature for cooling.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
'99 Sable and Taurus 289K and 298K original pumps. Starts first time. I do check fuel rail pressure once a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts