Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 03 taurus with 48,000 miles and I could not get it started this morning. Wanting to see if I was getting spark I asked a passerby to turn the key and I was getting spark. There is a silver rail on top of the engine with a valve, (looks like a tire valve) and the guy put a thin tipped scredriver in the valve and the car started. Asked me to shut down, I did and would not start again. Took a hammer and beat the tank and the car started again but was loping badly and then stalled. I think it's the fuel pump but want to get other thoughts before I get into it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So I've been having this problem too. My car has ~93k miles, and runs great (no cut-off in power across RPM range). My fuel filter looked original, and fuel was DARK on the tank side when I unhooked it.

Replaced wires/plugs also. Cranks for days. When I turn key on, I hear more of a thump near the pump, not the characteristic "whee" sound.

Looks like I'll have to bit the bullet and buy a pump? Anything wrong with the cheaper assemblies?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you shoz. I don't want to burn bridges here but there seems to be very little informantion on this site and it's what I thought the best taurus site out of many bad site.
Shoz, you bill yourself as a technical advisor and I get a 6 word answer. No comment on how to do the job, what to look for, what else to do while the tank is down, etc. I bought a Haynes manual online and am waiting for it.
I do belong to to other car sites and both are vastly superior to this.
Fordfestiva.com and Dieselstop.com
Now I don't want to come on the site and bitch so what can I do to help make this a better, more friendly, informative site????????????

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Did you search for anything before asking? I've dropped the tank a few times and could give you a step by step procedure but I do have other things to do. It's pretty straight forward.

Drain tank. Drop straps. Disconnect hoses. Take out fuel pump.

There will be problems you encounter. Please report back.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
To verify whether it is the pump, you need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge, see what the pressures are, and see if it holds the proper pressures when it is turned off.

Cheap pumps are just that. Your original pump lasted trouble free up to this point, you can get reasonable prices on a new Motorcraft pump at www.rockauto.com. I just went through 2 aftermarket pumps on my van. The original pump lasted 168,000 miles, the replacements only lasted 15,000 each.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So on Rockauto they list two Motorcraft pump assemblies: on with extended range tank and one without. How do I tell if I have the "extended range" tank? Does that even exist?

My car is a 2002 flex fuel vulcan ses

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I believe all flex fuel have the large fuel tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Then you have an extended fuel tank. the standard fuel tank on gen 2,3,4 Taurii is 10 gallons, with a 2 gallon reserve. Extended tank is 15 Gallons with a 5 gallon reserve.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So when my light is on I have 5 gallons? Damn - I thought it was like 1 gallon and would haul ass to the nearest Costco!

Thanks for the help! I guess I'll be throwing a part at the problem here (maybe I'll invest $40 in a fuel pressure tester...)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The light comes on at about 1.5 gallons.

There is either a 16 gallon tank or an 18 gallon tank. Either will actually hold more if you dribble it in. Just don't put so much in it saturates the charcoal cannister.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are many resources here, you should check them out before slamming the Club.
It is the best Taurus site on the web, newbies need to learn how to use it.
Was this aimed at me? I wasn't slamming the site in any way - I simply stated that I would not be buying a fuel pressure tester and hope that I'm right about the pump being bad. I am prepared to pay the lazy/stupid tax if this doesn't fix my problem...

Thanks for the link.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Was this aimed at me? I wasn't slamming the site in any way - I simply stated that I would not be buying a fuel pressure tester and hope that I'm right about the pump being bad. I am prepared to pay the lazy/stupid tax if this doesn't fix my problem...

Thanks for the link.
No, at Easywind, saying there's very little info on this site. It's all good, though....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Then you have an extended fuel tank. the standard fuel tank on gen 2,3,4 Taurii is 10 gallons, with a 2 gallon reserve. Extended tank is 15 Gallons with a 5 gallon reserve.
I have the standard 16 gal. tank on my G3, same as all G2's. FFV vehicles and everything after, and including, G4 is the 18 gal. And there is no "reserve", it refers to ABOUT how much fuel you have left when the low fuel lamp comes on, and as stated, is about 1.5 gallons for either tank, which gives you 25 - 45 miles to find fuel before you're out, never mind that your fuel pump is sucking up tank sediment. My brothers Prius has a 10 gal. tank, a Taurus?, no way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Then every fueling station here in Tampabay area is out of calibration to my advantage. From dead empty (Stalled after driving 38 miles on Gas Lamp) I can only get ~12.5 gallons into my G4 Duratec.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well like I said I don't want to burn any bridges. I waited 17 hours for a response and I got "yes sound like a bad pump: from a technical advisor.
Also posted repace fuel pump in the search function and got not much considering I just bought the car.
Anyway I got very antsy as I live in Manhattan NYC and deal with alternate side of the street parking. Don't move your car or park on the wrong side can lead to a $175 tow and a $125 ticket courtesy of the city, also $20 a day in storage fees.
I keep a Ford Festiva and F250 diesel in arizona and belong to clubs dealing with both vehicles and both those clubs are great.
I recieved my Haynes manual over the weekend and won't be asking more questions.
And to shoz123 I thought I requested thoughts, not how to replace the pump.
First and easiest thing is to cut the sheetmetal under the rear seat so one can get to the pump without once again having to drop the tank.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Well like I said I don't want to burn any bridges. I waited 17 hours for a response and I got "yes sound like a bad pump: from a technical advisor.
Also posted repace fuel pump in the search function and got not much considering I just bought the car.
Anyway I got very antsy as I live in Manhattan NYC and deal with alternate side of the street parking. Don't move your car or park on the wrong side can lead to a $175 tow and a $125 ticket courtesy of the city, also $20 a day in storage fees.
I keep a Ford Festiva and F250 diesel in arizona and belong to clubs dealing with both vehicles and both those clubs are great.
I recieved my Haynes manual over the weekend and won't be asking more questions.
And to shoz123 I thought I requested thoughts, not how to replace the pump.
First and easiest thing is to cut the sheetmetal under the rear seat so one can get to the pump without once again having to drop the tank.
First my role as "Technical Advisor" is strictly a volunteer role. I do not have time to hand hold everyone through the process of fixing their car. The title comes from my own personal experiences which I have shared with the club over the years.

I would not say cutting a hole in the sheetmetal is the best way to access the pump on Tauruses newer than '96. The floor is not flat where the pump cover is and the ring is frequently seize in place. Along with the potential of tank rust which you can examine when the tank is down, And the rear brake lines that rust in the dark area that they snake through behind and next to the tank.

The pump can be individually changed. Or you can buy the whole module to replace.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts