1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasional hard starts.
Low RPM "lugging"
Sloshing sound from the fuel tank.
115,000 miles, and the filter was replaced six months ago.

What is it? :) Fuel pump or? This is on the Vulcan, BTW.

·
Registered
424 Posts
As far as the sloshing sound from the fuel tank, my 93 sable does the same thing, Ford didn't put enough baffles in the fuel tank to stop the fuel from sloshing.

G

·
Try cycling the key before starting next time, if it starts right up it may be the fuel pump going bad.

You should put a 398487509680930 LPH in it, it does have MVP. (mad vulcan powah)

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Sounds similar to a 95 sable I had a few years ago. I did have to replace the fuel pump, but the sable only had 62k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
my car is starting to idle rough occasionally around 750rpm... hopefully replacing the fuel filter will do it. havent had any good weather tho. MICHIGAN SUCKS

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I can hear the gas sloshing around in my tank when the car is parked and I do the "bounce" test on the shocks.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 17 2004, 05:59 PM
Try cycling the key before starting next time, if it starts right up it may be the fuel pump going bad.

You should put a 398487509680930 LPH in it, it does have MVP. (mad vulcan powah)
Just think about the mad NOS you could put on it!!!!!111 <drools>

·
Registered
108 Posts
A Vulcan on laughing gas?

(picturing Spock with a case of the giggles...)

On topic: My fuel pump has made a bit of a warbling sound for the first 5-10 seconds after starting ever since I bought the car. Anything to worry about? (It's done it for over a year and a half)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, pump's soundin' noisy, kind of a metallic whirring. Seems like some times when I cycle the key, it starts hard too.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Oct 18 2004, 11:59 AM
Oh yeah, pump's soundin' noisy, kind of a metallic whirring. Seems like some times when I cycle the key, it starts hard too.
Some noise is normal. If it's much louder than usual, then the bearings on the pump are going out - time for a new pump.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sucks having three bulls and two of them are castrated. :biglaugh: I'm going to turn them into hamburger, if anyone is hungry, bring A1.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 19 2004, 04:47 PM
Stop being a cheap bastard and replace the pump already! :p
Hahaha, look whos talkin' :ph34r:

B) :p

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie+Oct 21 2004, 02:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (duratecchie @ Oct 21 2004, 02:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais@Oct 19 2004, 04:47 PM

B) :p [/b][/quote]
Heh, teh B0bs b33n PW3Nd

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And buns. And some Skittles.

G

·
Originally posted by acreature+Oct 21 2004, 01:33 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (acreature @ Oct 21 2004, 01:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 02:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais
@Oct 19 2004, 04:47 PM

B) :p
Heh, teh B0bs b33n PW3Nd [/b][/quote]
'Tis OK. I had that one coming. Now ask sally, er, i mean, duratecchie to tell you all about his princess bed. :p

On to the fun...

Labaats and skittles mmmmm......

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
SilverKnight, I'd suggest a professional cleaning of the intake and injectors. Did the trick on my 1992 Ford Tempo LX (Vulcan with around 130K at the time). Also increased power, gas mileage, and helped out in cold weather starting.

My car's fuel pump may be going out. Its been kinda loud ever since I bought the car with 224K on it nearly a year ago (Jan). It now has 243K aprox. and yesterday I passed some bastard in a Grand Prix (who pulled out in front of me) and was crusing at about 70 MPH. Well, about five miles after passing Mr. Loser, I began to slow down to make a turn. I let off the gas early (since no one was behind me, the Ponti was a ways back) and used the brakes late (a habit I've developed to extend the life of the crappy brakes I cant afford to replace).

As the car decelerated to about 25 MPH, the transaxel downshifted very abruptly. I went to steer into the turning lane and realized I had no powersteering. The car had stalled. Still rolling on what is now a quiet residential street, I shifted into "N" and attemted to restart the car, it turned over but wouldnt fire. I kept its momentum going and coasted into a driveway. I could hear (after turning off the radio and A/C blower) a loud noise coming from the fuel pump area, like a water pump running when there is no water to be pumped. I had just filled up the car 33 miles ago so I know it wasnt anywhere close to being out of gas, in fact the fuel needle still pointed to "F". I cycled the key on and off a few times and it started up and ran fine. I left the driveway and went through about three 4-way stops (coming to a complete stop each time) and then arrived at a red light where the car promptly stalled again. I restarted it and illegally turned into a bank parking lot (running the red light LMAO) and it stalled again.

I let it sit in the parking lot for a few mins and restarted it, it ran fine and has run fine ever since. I drove it to church this morning and it also did great. On the way home yesterday I stopped and bought a fuel filter, thinking this may be it and besides, it is the last thing on my list of tune-up items that I haven't done (so far over the past month or so, I've replaced spark plugs, have done regular oil changes, inspected air filter, coolant, and trans fluid all of which were as new).

I sure as hell hope the fuel pump or relay doesnt go out. I'm trying to hussle up enough money to move back to WA (including possibly selling my 1988 Taurus, an offer of $300 was made on it as is, keep in mind I only paid $50 and havnt done a single thing to it yet except bring it home). I am going to -TRY- to get these damned racing slicks repalced and the power steering problem corrected. I know I wont be able to replace the heater core but at least the car will run/drive fine without it. If the powersteering fails, the pump could sieze up and cause my serp. belt to break and then I'd lose the alt and water pump, and thats where the car would sit because I cant afford all of that.

Appologies for the longish post, I dont have much access to a 'puter anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts