Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a weird intermittent no starting issue I am trying to troubleshoot. It did it again today. Turning the key I did not hear the fuel pump prime. I did it repeatedly and never heard a hum. Finally I unhooked my battery and waited long enough that i thought the ecu would reset and reconnected the battery. Then first time turning the key the fuel pump primed right up. What do you guys think is up? do you think i should replace the ecu? should i clean the the wire harness that plugs into it? The fuel pump was replaced last year too.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
would start with the easy stuff. clean the battery post and the wire harness plug. if disconnecting the battery and resetting the ecu worked once make sure you got tools with you to do it again just incase. if it starts again check the relay to the fuel pump and see if its getting the signal. if it is then its the pump. if not then the ecu or pats might be going bad

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would start with the easy stuff. clean the battery post and the wire harness plug. if disconnecting the battery and resetting the ecu worked once make sure you got tools with you to do it again just incase. if it starts again check the relay to the fuel pump and see if its getting the signal. if it is then its the pump. if not then the ecu or pats might be going bad
I have not cleaned the battery terminals yet but it is a newer battery. From what I saw today the terminals look good and they are still a good silver contact color and I did not feel any corrosion on them. I will def keep my wrenches in the trunk while I troubleshoot this. Also, how do I check the relay to the fuel pump? I have heard about this but not found a way to do it. What is pats? If any of these parts are bad can I get replacement ones at the junkyard over at AAP or AutoZone? Thanks you guys for the quick responses.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
pats is the passive anti theft alarm system.... if the ignition doesnt reconize the key it wont start... ( smart key with chip ). not sure where the relay on your car is.... in the past on some of my other cars it was a black box like the starter relay box. i would have someone turn the key while i had my tester in the plug to see if the voltage was sent to the pump. the relay should only cost a couple of bucks maybe 15 at the most. as far as the pats there are other guys on here that know aton more about it then i do. last car i had that had a pats i sold and got a new one. needed a car that would start every time, had some medical issues and didnt have time to play.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It sounds to me like you've got a fuel pump telling you to replace it before you are stranded somewhere ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds to me like you've got a fuel pump telling you to replace it before you are stranded somewhere ;)
I hope not lol after getting a new one a year ago I would hope its the ecu before that. I have not cleaned the ecu harness yet but I can report back that the fuel pump hummed first try today and started. Im am leaning to think its the ecu or the wire harness to it because earlier this year i had an issue with an airbag sensor. I cleaned the connector and reset it on the car and the airbag light never came back on.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Sounds like the same symptoms my car gave me. Occasional no prime, unhooking the battery didn't help but if I let it sit long enough it would start right up. I replaced the fuel pump and the problem went away. I know you said you replaced the pump a year ago but you could have gotten a bad part. Remember new does not always mean good, new parts fail too.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Is the year old fuel pump a high quality name brand one or some cheap chinese made part from the discount parts store?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the same symptoms my car gave me. Occasional no prime, unhooking the battery didn't help but if I let it sit long enough it would start right up. I replaced the fuel pump and the problem went away. I know you said you replaced the pump a year ago but you could have gotten a bad part. Remember new does not always mean good, new parts fail too.
That is very true, I just hope it isnt true in this case :D. I will clean the leads on the wire harness soon and report back. Are there any tips to cleaning it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you ever change the fuel filter? Mine was dirty as hell, and I'm sure that contributed to the premature demise of my fuel pump...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you ever change the fuel filter? Mine was dirty as hell, and I'm sure that contributed to the premature demise of my fuel pump...
Sorry if there was confusion, unfortunately I had the fuel pump replaced when I got it out of state. I knew the PO and had them get the work done before they signed over the title. I just relized that i had the work done two years ago now not one sorry. I told them to tell the mechanic to replace the fuel filter when they changed the fuel pump. I think they used a motorcraft fuel pump. I looked at the fuel filter tho and it looks very new still. Only the holder its in has rust on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Just because a fuel filter looks new on the outside, implying it was replaced when the pump was, doesnt mean it isnt at least partly plugged. I replace fuel filters every 20K miles in all my cars. Cheap insurance against future problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There should be a schrader valve somewhere near or on the fuel rail that a fuel pressure gauge can be hooked up to. The valve looks like a tire valvestem. You can borrow or buy a cheap $15 fuel gauge place it on the hood and drive and see where the fuel pressure is. And you can't tell the condition of a fuel filter by looking at the outside of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There should be a schrader valve somewhere near or on the fuel rail that a fuel pressure gauge can be hooked up to. The valve looks like a tire valvestem. You can borrow or buy a cheap $15 fuel gauge place it on the hood and drive and see where the fuel pressure is. And you can't tell the condition of a fuel filter by looking at the outside of it.
Thank you that is a very good point. I just observed that about the fuel filter when it had its no starting issue in the parking lot. I will look into the fuel pressure gauge. What store has it for the best price?

Also I wanted to report back that I cleaned the battery terminal and today it had the same issue except i noticed some things i didnt say originally. I saw today when i turn the key and when it doent start I dont hear the fuel pump hum. Along with this the CEL does not come on at all. I can cycle the key over and over and the CEL would not flash.

Also I got the car to start with out disconnecting the battery. This morning what I did was turn the key and saw no cel and now fuel pump hum. Then I shifted into N and it magically the CEL flashed and the fuel pump hummed. Would my TRS cause that? or is it something to do with the bulls ECU ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
My friends sable did this too, I didnt hear the pump either, but he had it towed to the shop everything seemed fine, he replaced the fuel filter and it went away. Cheap and preventative maintenence even if it doesn't fix it, its worth the try....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My friends sable did this too, I didnt hear the pump either, but he had it towed to the shop everything seemed fine, he replaced the fuel filter and it went away. Cheap and preventative maintenence even if it doesn't fix it, its worth the try....

Good pt. as preventative maintenance i will do that myself or have it done. Also, did your friend have the same CEL not flashing on too? if the fuel system didnt have pressure at start would that cause the ECU to freeze up?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had just about the same issues as you. I didn't notice CEL's or not (didn't pay attention), but it would just eventually start after trying for awhile. At first I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to go away but eventually the pump just died.

I just replaced the actual pump (not the whole assembly) and it's been fine since. (Forget that it's been parked since February for the world's longest head gasket repair job.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts