Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an 07 Taurus with 130k miles, and it seems like it's done nothing but give me grief! For a couple of weeks, the car has been taking a few cranks too many to start after its been sitting for a few hours, and just a few days ago the fuel pump started making a very loud whine (audible from the drivers seat!) when the key is turned to the on position. I'm aware that this means the fuel pump is probably failing, but given that I am not particularly experienced in maintaining cars, I thought I would get some extra opinions before I drop all that cash on a new fuel pump/diagnostic from a professional mechanic

Other details:

-As far as I can tell, the performance of the car has not suffered during driving, it only struggles to start after it sits for a few hours
-I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, and it was long overdue
-Likewise for the (original!) spark plugs

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Is your battery in good shape. My 06 had long cranks and it turned out to be a bad battery. 130k is not many miles for the Ford modulated fuel pumps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would make sure you always have at least 1/2 tank of gas in the car. Check the air filter. Maybe clean the MAF sensor and maybe try to cycle the key to on a couple times before starting to prime and see if that helps. It is normal to be able to hear the fuel pump if you listen closely. Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the plug wires too that would just be general maintenance at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it start up just fine when the engine was hot if the battery was going bad? Cycling the key didn't seem to do anything, and I plan to check the MAF sensor after the rain clears.
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would expect a weak battery to perform better after just running rather than sitting for a period of time. Autozone and Advance Auto and places like that can test your battery free of charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts