Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday drove about 15 miles, stopped for about 10-15 mintes, then my car wouldnt start, didnt listen for the fuel pump then, but a mobile mechanic happpened to be there and said it was the fuel pump..he used a diagnostics thing. I thought maybe he sabotaged my car, he gave me his card and said hed beat any price to fix it..Anyways, today it started fine.

Im wondering if these are fuel pump symptoms. on and off like that?

Also, is it something i can fix myself? I changed starter about 2 months ago, have basic mechanic knowledge.. 160k miles on 2001 ford taurus

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
A fuel pump and stick and then free up after sitting a while or hitting the bottom of the fuel tank. It may run for a month, week, day or an hour, you can't really say. That is of course if the fuel pump is the problem. Could be a bad really, you won't know for sure and you cannot do a proper diagnosis on a fuel pump in the parking lot. You can make an educated guess, but how would he check for power at the pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
his test didnt really convince me, he had somethin he plugged into my car under the steering wheel. thats what im saying...so how can tell if its the pump, if its off and on, im already planning on doing the filter. Do i do the volt test? but the pump is working now so wont the test be useless? or are the volts different on a bad pump??

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a good sign of a bad fuel pump is better mpg. when you turn the key is the pump quite or loud. a loud pump is a bad pump. another area to look at is when you have a no start condition is the theft light blinking? it never hurts to change a fuel filter. also you can test fuel pressure at the rail to see if its within specs. low pressure can indicate a bad pump, clog in the filter etc.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts