Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an experience with my '98 Taurus SE with 160k miles that might be a help to someone else.

I went to drive it the other day after it had been parked nose-up on a steeply inclined driveway for several weeks. It started briefly, then quit. I checked the gas guage and it read "E". Someone had siphoned out the gas. I put in about a gallon or so and it still would not start. I checked the cut-off switch in the trunk and it was OK. I checked for the sound of the pump running when we switched on the ignition- no sound. I checked the 20-amp fuse and replaced the control module. It still would not even try to start.

It looked like a fuel pump problem. I read the threads on that subject in this wonderful collection and they were very informative.

Today I prepared for the ordeal of replacing the pump. I jacked-up the rear of the car and set it on jack stands. Now the car was more nearly level than before and it occured to me that perhaps that gallon of fuel simply did not reach the pick-up before, and now it might. I ought to at least try it. Sure enough, when we switched on the ignition there was a brief, beautiful hum. We cranked it and it started right-up.

Thinking that our troubles were over, we drove off to the gas station. The Taurus died about five times in a mile, but we were able to restart it each time. We managed to get it back home after many restarts and I determined to try replacing the fuel filter. But before I did that, we noticed that the air hose from the air filter was disconnected. I had done that to try starting fluid the day before and forgot about it. We reconnected it and though I didn't think that it would make any difference, it now runs great.

Boy, I love that Taurus!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice!

Gotta love it when a potentially huge problem turns out to be nothing :) Id suggest a locking gas cap though.. pesky gas stealing neighbors :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Have to love people who steal fuel. I had my truck with a 130L tank on it. It was full when I dropped it off at a garage to install a replacement transmission. It was sitting out over the weekend before it went in on a Monday. I took the truck on the Sunday before to run errands with it only to find that my tank had lost $70 in fuel when I went to top it off to see. It was filled before I dropped it off.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I tried to siphon gas out of my car when doing a fuel pump repair and couldn't get the hose all the way into the tank. I didn't know if it was hitting a bad angle and jamming the hose or if there was actually a screen designed to prevent siphoning. Either way it sucked....... well, actually it didn't.... :)

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Impossible

I tried to siphon gas out of my car when doing a fuel pump repair and couldn't get the hose all the way into the tank. I didn't know if it was hitting a bad angle and jamming the hose or if there was actually a screen designed to prevent siphoning. Either way it sucked....... well, actually it didn't.... :)
Next thing to impossible.

Back in the day, when the filler went down into the tank, I used to siphon gas out for the lawn mower.

Now the pipe bends, bends and goes in horizontal.

Not going to happen.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
There is a check ball in the fuel filler pipe that prevents gasoline from spilling if the car is inverted. It also prevents siphoning. A locking gas cap is a waste of money and can cause the fuel cap warning light to come on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts