Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Ford Taurus LX, it has a little less than 160,000 miles.

First off, my car had previously not started 1 week before my current problem.
When I tried to start it there was a loud shaking and the engine sounded weak. I had the car towed to my mechanic and it sat over a weekend. When they tried to start it up it worked fine. They said that the wiring, for my battery, was a little off. I had them replace it for $60, my car also received an oil change and a new water pump belt, it had cracks. I picked up the car and it drove perfectly.

During the week after the repair it was cold, 35-40 degrees, with light hail and heavy rain. I went to start my car and it wouldn't start. The engine sounds strong like it is going to turn over but it never does. I do not hear the pump prime when I when I put the key in position. I have checked the inertia switch and it isn't popped up. I currently have a half tank of gas and have noticed no other problems other than the one mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you tried to read about on how to replace a fuel pump on that one? I think you may be needed to replace it, or somehow, you would be needed that one in order to figure out the problem on your fuel pump. But try to search or read up other needed information in order to make sure things will work out well and determine your problem there.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My car was acting very similar to this when the fuel pump was on it's way out. Here are things that you or a mechanic can check to verify if the pump is providing pressure.

Under the hood, on the passenger side of the engine, there is a schrader valve. If you uncover that and push it in (before, after, and during the ignition start) you will be able to tell if the pump is providing enough pressure for the system.

If it just dribbles out, then chances are good that the pump is done. You can also check the voltage at the inertia switch. It will only receive the electronic signal when you are trying to crank the car over, so that one is going to be a 2 person job. Hook up a voltmeter to it, have a friend crank over the car. If you see voltage back to the inertia switch, then things are good from the battery to the inertia switch.

If the inertia switch test pans out okay, then all the more reason to replace the fuel pump. Also, when replacing the pump, it's a good idea to do the fuel filter as well. This is something that you can do very easily if you want to save a few $$$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts