Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm currently working on a 95 taurus gl 3.0 for my son. When we bought it, I knew the fuel pump was not turning on and just assumed it was the pump. Dropped the tank and pulled the pump out and hooked it too my battery charger and it came right on.. so I began troubleshooting and discovered I have roughly 10.4VDc to the pump harness.. however, when I hook the pump up to the harness and check the voltage on the bottom side of the pump, it's only reading 1.2VDc and the pump will not operate off the cars wiring harness. I'm thoroughly confused now and need assistance lol. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would start by checking the fuel pump relay. I am not sure where it is located on the 95, but most of the FOMOCO, there is a relay bank under the hood by the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did locate the ccrm on the rad support that has the fuel pump relay built into it. When the key is put to 'run' I can feel a relay clicking in the box but theres no way to access the individual relays inside it. If the relay was bad, would I still be getting voltage to the pump harness?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
A fuel pump can run directly connected to a battery and not hooked up to the harness because of the voltage drop. I believe the acceptable drop is .5 volts. Hook your battery charger to the battery terminals and then measure the voltage at the harness end. Also try cycling the inertia switch a few times to clean the contacts. I think 95s had them in the trunk. Make sure your battery grounds and the grounds at the inertia switch are clean.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I did locate the ccrm on the rad support that has the fuel pump relay built into it. When the key is put to 'run' I can feel a relay clicking in the box but theres no way to access the individual relays inside it. If the relay was bad, would I still be getting voltage to the pump harness?

The relay contacts could be corroded and not making good contact. Here is a link to read to get started. https://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-tech/137028-low-voltage-problem-fuel-pump.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks automender... I did check the voltage at the inertia switch which was also reading right around the 10.5 range, same as the fuel pump harness. My voltage reading at the battery is showing 11.4 so I'm losing just under 1 volt. Any idea which wires to/from the ccrm are the ones that actually run the pump so I could try jumpering past the relay just to test it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just realized I never checked the ohms across the fuel pump wiring that's in the pump itself.. i just went down and checked it and it's a dead short in the pump itself. When I was bench testing it I was hooking directly to the pump itself and not the connector. Once I put it back together and hooked back up to the harness, now the fuel pump kicks on as it should however I am still replacing the pump so it doesnt do it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Automender12345
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing