Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after growing tired of the loud HUMMMMM and the accompanying vibration of the back seat, I felt it was time to replace my aging fuel pump. And so I did...
...with a Walbro 190LPH fuel pump!! w00t!!

I decided to go against the grain, and replace the pump through the rear seat floor pan, rather than dropping the tank, which can prove... fun. Not really tho. <_<

Now, to get through the floor, you obviously have to cut a hole.

A HOLE!??

Relax, it's not as hard as you'd think, and several before me have done the same. I used this guy's instructions, and they were dead on! Yeah!! You own Dave!! Even if you don't own your Taurus anymore

Now, in Dave's tutorial, he used a Dremel, and cautioned against deep cuts due to the close proximity of fuel lines and harnesses below the surface. However, several on SHO Forum have used a Sawzall or similar to perform this procedure. Given the close proximity...

OMG!! WTF!1
LoL... Are you insane? THere is NO room for something like that below the surface! Use a dremel and a steady hand. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

Once the new pump was in, I took a plasma cutter to a scrap hood, and cut a piece of steel 1" bigger on all sides that the piece I removed, secured it with some self tapping screws, and was good to go.

Yes, I have friends who have scrap hoods and plasma cutters lying around.

So all in all, it was a fun day.
Some things for future reference tho...

Use the dremel!
It's the only thing I know of that can cut without going below the surface of the metal, if you're careful. A sawzall is a great way to turn your Taurus or Sable into a smoldering heap.

~Hamal

G

·
Its a fun little project. But if you have a real steady hand, you can do like I did and use a die grinder with a 4" cutoff wheel. the only consequence was I barely knicked one of the vent lines. But overall I would suggest this method over dropping the tank any day.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, but I drive a Gen2 that was born and raised on New England winters, salt and all. You know the minute I take a socket to those bolts, snap!

Cutting hole in floorpan > Snapping fuel tank strap bolts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Post!! Thank you.

Also... Just read you live in QUEENS. I do as well. Middle Village. I own a 1992 Taurus. 374,000 miles now. She's my TANK.
She has a few issues at the moment. It's killing me thinking that I might have to leave her soon...BUT I'M NO GOING TO. I've owned her since 74,000 miles till now. Aloy of history, and always there for me. Even during 2 of my 3 Deployments over seas,... every time I've come home after she sat for over a year...put the key in and drove off...HOOAH!
Any Idea how to get a hold of fuel supply lines from tank to engine? Or do you think I can use high pressure fuel line from tank to fuel rail? Answer or no answer, great post sir.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did exactly the same procedure on my 01, 04 and 06 Taurus just so I could adjust the float for the sending unit to fix the annoyingly inaccurate gas gauge. I'll be dammed if I'm dropping the tank for that.

Got the idea from when I owned a 95 Chrysler Concorde that came with a removable plate in the trunk.

Forgot to mention, I used a nibbing tin snip to cut the hole and duct tape on the piece I cut out for the cover.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got a '99. Is the location of the fuel pump the same in all Taurus?. I'm asking in case I decide to do this. I've done it in a pickup truck with good success, and will probably do it to the Taurus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.