Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 2002 Vulcan FFV and ~92k miles. Fuel pump was on it's way out (wouldn't prime very well), and after replacing the fuel filter I bit the bullet and bought the pump from Rock Auto (Motorcraft PFS190 - the one for the extended range tank).

I'll leave out the hell I had with the fuel filter clips (couldn't find the original size skinny ones so I used the broken pieces and zip ties.)

First I backed the car onto ramps, and unbolted the straps while supporting with a jack and piece of wood. I noticed that the top of the tank was FILTHY with dirt/rocks/mud so made the decision to pull it all the way out and clean it up. I unhooked the little breather thing near the rear passenger side and taped over it to keep dirt out of the hole.

Then comes the hell. The electrical connector in the rear was a pain to get unplugged but otherwise no surprises. The beast is the fuel return unit thing - that thing fits in there TIGHT. While trying to turn it loose, I broke the vent line :angry:

Finally got the tank out and cleaned up. Dropped the new fuel pump assembly in. Then I go to put the fuel return (?) unit back in and it just won't twist lock in. It is really easy to do if I leave out the rubber O-ring or the other plastic gasket thing, but not with both. The JB Weld I put on the vent line breaks so I just say eff it - maybe I'll just let it breathe out without a hose.

Then I notice that one of the electrical connectors is DIFFERENT! (blue versus yellow)

What the hell?! So now I'm stuck deciding whether to try and ship it back and get the correct unit (which one???) or cut and splice the new connector. They each have 3 wires which I assume have the same functions. hopefully the orientation of the 3 is the same. Anyone have a clue here?

I'd also like to replace that fuel return piece of crap thing, but the damn plastic hoses on there do not seem to be easily removable...

FWIW - the old fuel pump part # is PM2F1U-9H307-EB and the new fuel pump part # reads PMYF1U-9H307-EG

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on. The Fuel systems on these damn G4 Taurus' are so convoluted.

Per Rock Auto, there are 2 fuel pump assemblies - one without extended range tank, and one with. I ASSumed I had the extended range tank since I routinely fill up at 14+ gallons. Apparently the info posted here was not completely accurate, although I'm not sure how to go about finding out.

Here is the one listed without an Extended tank:
MOTORCRAFT Part # PFS234 {#1F1Z9H307EC, PM1F1U9H307EE}

Notice the grey colored connector like mine.

WITH Extended Range Tank:
MOTORCRAFT Part # PFS190 {#PMYF1U9H307EF, YF1Z9H307EG}
This is the one I ordered and the black/yellow connector does NOT fit.

I think I need to just send this thing back for the extended range tank version...

:angry:

Anyone know what the heck that thing I broke is called? I sure could use an electronic service manual (hint, hint, nudge nudge...)

·
Registered
23,392 Posts
It looks pretty obvious you need the pump assy. with the gray conn. Gen.3 normal size tanks were 16 gal. Ext. range i thought were 18-20 gal.??? I also thought gen.4 tanks were a bit lgr. than gen.3? Have you tried topic finder or wiki? Hopefully some knowledgeable person will chime in. good luck, -sheila

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Gen 4 tanks were all 18 gallons starting in the very late 00 model year.
I presume they would be 18 gallons for FFV or regular fuel tanks.:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird. I'm guessing I will have to use a damn bottle jack to press that stupid canister in and try and turn it. If all else fails I'll just leave out the flat gasket and RTV the top. I'm sick of this damn job...

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Just hit it with a big hammer. Seems to solve most folks' problems here......

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to "modify" the wiring when i replaced my fuel pump. Took one out of a 95 Sable and it seems to work great lol. Took a whole night to drop 2 tanks and try to f#ck around with those things.. I feel your pain tho

·
Registered
5 Posts
the dealer has the schematics of all your parts. They can show you what the piece that broke off is. I bought the high pressure fuel house at $75.00 bucks.. I Just dont understand why they are so expensive at the dealer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with the part that broke is that no part of it seems easy to replace. The hoses on there are rigid plastic, and don't seem to be easily removable. Even if I had a new part I wonder how I could get those hoses on/off...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's an idea. I can try my heat gun on the busted part first and see how that works...

I found a similar, but different looking part on the Ford parts website. I think it's a pressure equalizer of some sort.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh well now WTF!?

Got my package in from Rock Auto like this:

Snap a couple pics in case it's smashed, but it looks ok. It also looks like the wrong damn part again! :angryfire:

This time the blue connector matches, but now there are 2 separate ports on top? Also, the float has limited action compared to the original. This new part is the non-extended fuel tank part, so maybe I did have an extended tank???

I'm going to have to call up Ford parts to see what they recommend...

I hate this turd.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rock Auto lists it under 2003 as the "Flex" option - no mention of extended or non-extended tanks...

FML

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
F#ck Rock Auto.

I just called them and explained that:
a) I ordered the "right" part the first time based on their catalog (flex fuel - apparently I do have the extended range size tank)
b) Based on THEIR recommendation ordered the wrong part the second time

Their Response:
Tough. You pay $15 to ship it back and then we'll refund your order 1-5 business days AFTER we receive it. So in total, I'm out $307.12 + $316.16 + $30 in return shipping = $653.28

He says he'll refund the original shipping charges as well, so when all is said and done I wasted $30 and 2 weeks dicking around with the wrong parts. They are not willing to cover the return shipping charges since they base their catalog on Motorcraft's website apparently.

I'll be looking around for another cheaper-than-dealer alternative for the CORRECT part now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts