Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Taurus 3.0 DOHC...new PCM...Vin specific...the car stumbles and dies when I plug in the FPS mounted on the fuel rail...new pump and module...grounds sanded...this is the 3rd FPS so I am stumped...no vac leaks...car runs pretty good with sensor Un plugged...have tried to force run it to throw me a code and it never will...lots of new parts....new connector on FPS too...so I'm stumped...need some brains I've seen on here....

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Total shot in the dark....... Harness or connector to FPTS damaged causing a short to ground of the VREF voltage? VREF voltage lost due to short / open, etc will kill the engine or at best the engine will run very poorly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's VREF means? I thought ground too...replaced FPS connector...if it's a short it's buried in there somewhere...also does anyone know what the pump pressure will default to without the sensor to modulate? When its plugged in and forced run I get 38 to 40 psi...my scanner shows a fault cause the sensor is unplugged but thst all....still stumped...thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could check the voltages on the (disconnected) FPS connector. With the Ignition to RUN, the two outer terminals of the connector should carry 5.04V and the middle terminal 0.04V (at least on my 2000 Vulcan they do). This is the same as with the TPS and the DPFE sensor.

You could also check with an ohm-meter whether one of the 3 pins of the FPS just accidentally connects to the ground (as Jeff K suggested).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked voltage...got 5v on outside wire and 0 volts on middle wire...sensor Ohms out good...if I can find short on middle I bet it will work...thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts