Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
OK, after seemingly chasing my tail all afternoon I finally got a straight answer. The Duratec and gas Vulcans do indeed use a mechanical FPR system for '01. There is a blow-off valve in the tank that is fed from the second port on the fuel filter. The Flex-Fuel Vulcans still use an electronic returnless system. This is why I was finding part numbers for FPDMs and FPSs for '01 models. Ford's own schematics and diagrams do not reflect these differences accurately. The only diagram I've found that shows a difference on the '01s from the '00s and the '02s is the one for the fuel pump assembly. This is a one year only change. It was apparently an attempted cost cutting measure that was abandoned. They were trying to find a cheap way to skirt the EPA regulations banning return fuel lines from the engine bay. The '00s and the '02+ vehicles do all use an electronic, returnless fuel system with a FPDM and on rail pressure sensor.

Chart, I owe you a beer. :cheers:

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus Vulcan Flex AF50N
5 Posts
OK, after seemingly chasing my tail all afternoon I finally got a straight answer. The Duratec and gas Vulcans do indeed use a mechanical FPR system for '01. There is a blow-off valve in the tank that is fed from the second port on the fuel filter. The Flex-Fuel Vulcans still use an electronic returnless system. This is why I was finding part numbers for FPDMs and FPSs for '01 models. Ford's own schematics and diagrams do not reflect these differences accurately. The only diagram I've found that shows a difference on the '01s from the '00s and the '02s is the one for the fuel pump assembly. This is a one year only change. It was apparently an attempted cost cutting measure that was abandoned. They were trying to find a cheap way to skirt the EPA regulations banning return fuel lines from the engine bay. The '00s and the '02+ vehicles do all use an electronic, returnless fuel system with a FPDM and on rail pressure sensor.

Chart, I owe you a beer. :cheers:
  1. Thanks for this thread I was searching all over. Well as one guy said earlier the 01 year is different and I'm finding out the hard way, I thought the wrong fuel pump was on my flex fuel Taurus but it actually wasn't after I've order 2 unreturnable
    items with different parts numbers but are identical items and a returnless fuel filter that won't fit into the fuel line to engine which is 5/16 an the side of fuel filter pointing to engine is 3/8, so I have a flex fuel Vulcan 2001 with a semi return system the date in the door says March 2001. Car was stall when hot an had to wait 40 mins to crank it again an figured that the fuel pump was bad it had an airtex in it an all the websites said it was wrong for the flex fuel but it isnt

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus Vulcan Flex AF50N
5 Posts
OK since we now know the 2001 flex fuel Vulcan can have a semi return system, I've been searching and searching an It seems after 2001 only the flex vehicle comes with the extended range fuel sending unit, the gas just has a regular pump and sender no matter the size of the tank, and for the year 2001 flex Vulcan that they changed mid year that I have it seems it also uses the regular gas fuel sending unit. So there we go, I'm stuck with two brand new motocraft fuel sending units, gotta try to sell them.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
'01's are a one year only system, thus the filter is a one year only, 3 nipple. The pump is pre '02 system that uses battery voltage. I have only changed one. I left the bracket on the car and tossed the one on the new filter. On a car that age getting the bolt out of the bracket is likely not going to happen. That year filter has a pressure bypass that returns the excess fuel back to the tank through the larger nipple and hose.
-chart-

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts