Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after charging my battery. I crank the enging during the charge I notice i heard a light pop when I engage the accelerator. soon after I saw fuel leaking from what looks like a fuel filter to me. If this is a fuel filter in the picture i've attach can it be easily replace with gas tank being full? http://imageurl.org/?di=055E

Attachments

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Yes, it can be easily replaced. Look in the trunk on the right side behind the carpet and you should see the inertia cutoff switch. Unplug the cable from the bottom, then start the car and wait for the engine to stop. Now there is no fuel in the lines and you can swap it out, there's many threads here that show how to change it out.

·
Registered
22,859 Posts
^+1! Change that rusty s.o.b.! You can depress the schrader valve with a small screwdriver and rag on the front fuel rail to relieve pressure or do nothing at all as filter and lines will leak a little regardless (best to place a drip pan under filter). Set e-brake. Jack up rr and support with jack stand, loosen retainer hose clamp with 8mm (5/16") socket, pop out 2 white plastic hairpin clips with small screwdriver, pull off lines and remove filter. Install new filter with flow arrow pointing towards the front of the car, replace lines, insert new clips supplied with new filter (top arrows pointing away from filter), and snug hose clamp. Lower car, place key into ignition and cycle from off to on (not cranking) several times to prime the fuel system. Start car and check for leaks. Filter and clips for your car is <$10 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheila sounds like you've change the fuel filter a few times before. Very informative,Thank you. I will get to it first thing in the morning. Hoping I can breeze through it without any problems.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You can pull fuel pump relay in engine fuse box and run untill it stalls out too. That's what I do - really easy and avoids digging for that dang switch in trunk. I used a NAPA fuel filter and they had the clips, too. You have to ask for the clips. Not all boxes come with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remove the fuel pump fuse and let the engine stall the fuel won't continue leaking once I remove the filter? Just asking

·
Registered
22,859 Posts
^ It won't keep leaking whether you relieve the pressure or not. It won't drain your fuel tank, lol. Best to place a catch pan under filter prior starting repair as there will be residual gas in the lines and filter. Also recommend safety glasses (no-lead burns like hell in the eyes!) and no smoking, lol!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need more help. I have remove the clips but can't remove the lines of the filter. I have attempt to pull them off but they're not moving at all. Help me

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Hoses more or less get married to connectors. Try holding the fuel line close to the connector and twisting the filter/connector. There's less resistance in a "married" connection to turning, compared to the resistance to pulling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts