Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 taurus ses with the 24v duratec. Yesterday while driving (in the heat of the afternoon) I smelt gas when stopped at a light.
I pulled over and could not see anything with the hood up but noticed gas dripping from the under passenger side just behind the tire (firewall area).
I drove home and let the car set for a few hours. When I started it I could not see fuel leak. I drove it around and still no leak.

I would appreciate any suggestions and if anyone has a diagram of how the fuel lines route.

Thanks

SG

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Did you just fuel up prior to the drive? Was your tank full? A fuel pressure line leak won't just stop, it will be constant and only leak when the car is running or turned to the "ON" position. I can provide the fuel system diagrams but please let me know the answers to the questions above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Greenlx,

I did fill up at the begining of the day. I stopped at a couple places and noticed a gas smell but dismissed it. Then we stopped were no one was around and I left it running when I saw the fuel drip under the car. It did stop when the car was turned off. I drove it back home and after it set I have not been able to reproduce the problem. (maybe since it is now down to between half and 3/4 on gas)?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It sounds like you may have overfilled your tank, check the overflow / Vent line for rotting (It runs beside the main filler tube into the tank) I had the same issue with a ranger and the vent line was rotted out causing it to leak a little bit when it was full.

Keep in mind if you filled up in the morning when it was cooler the gasoline in your tank is going to expand and it may leak if you have a faulty vent tube.

Troy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your posts! I just went for a drive and was again not able to reproduce the issue. It could have been related to filling the tank. Although I could really smell gas. I will watch things closely and especially next fill up.

I'll post if I find out anything further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts