Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys recently with in the past 3 weeks the bull has been having some fuel issues... Well it says we have a 16 gallon tank the most we have ever put in is 13.69 which was tonight.. well around 12 gallons when your on the highway and get on it to pass someone giving it all its got at about 90 mph and it acts like i hit the fuel cut off and bogs down till i let off the gas a little and then it goes past 90... like i said under full throttle from 0-89 it has no issue then at 90 bam cutoff.. with full tank no issues all the way to 100+.. ok to tonight gas lights on which btw these things are so inaccurate. the car is spitting and wants to bog down pulling out.. get to the gas station and put in the 13.69 gallons.. runs fine now..

So my question is whats the issue

do we really have a 14 gallon tank?
is the fuel filter bad?
is my fuel pump taking a dump?

???????

Thanks guys and please help

Ryan

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You do realize that the gas does slosh around in the tank? When it gets down to only 2 gallons there might not be enough making it to the pump inlet at WOT, considering that the gas has inertia and is resisting the change in motion being applied to it, forcing it against the back of the tank.
Can you drive it normally without it cutting out past almost 14 gallons?

With that said, a clogged fuel filter won't help, and who knows, your pump inlet may not be at the bottom of the tank. Although since you can feather the gas to get it up above 90, it MIGHT be the pump.
Tank could be dented, could be a number of things. Check the fuel pressure when it's running like poo.

No Taurus ever came with a 14 gallon tank. either a 16 or 18.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump.. anyone else

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Ryan, I agree with Fire's comments.
Also, some late build 00 models got the 18 gallon tank too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts