Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about taking my 97Gl to the stealership to get the fuel injectors cleaned, but I am wondering is it just a waist of time, or does it really clean? how do they do it anyways?

thanks
adam

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The kind that is attached to your fuel rail and the engine ran off it works. But if the injector is severely clogged then the cleaner will not be able to do much good.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well the professional cleaning does do a much better job than those in tank cleaners. The professional injector cleaners are connected directly to the fuel rail and supply the concentrated cleaning mixture directly to the injectors. This method is more effective because the cleaning solution isn't diluted by the tank of gas. So how much is the professional cleaning from the stealership?

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure, I am guessing between $60-75. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you're going to spend that much, you may as well buy new injectors. A bottle of Techron to an almost empty tank works pretty well for me.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Feb 11 2004, 06:31 PM
The kind that is attached to your fuel rail and the engine ran off it works. But if the injector is severely clogged then the cleaner will not be able to do much good.
Do you know where to get those kits? I can't find any at the local parts stores.

A

·
0 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know a good (cheap) place to send injectors in to get cleaned and blueprinted?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just bought a set for my 87 vulcan and it costed me $360.00 I didnt think it was that bad.

I got 3 Sets of good used injectors EMail me if interested.

95 3.0 set of six
99 3.0 Non ffv set of six
87 3.0 set of six

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I got a 3M FI cleaning kit at NAPA. Not cheap but it is DIY. I think it was ~$125 for the kit with two cans of cleaner.

·
Registered
160 Posts
60-75$ seems fairly reasonable if you ask me. New injectors are expensive considering you need 6 of them. I just looked at autozone.com and its 55 bux for one injector for my 94 vulcan. 37 bux for a remanufectured one but you got to send your old ones in to get 9 bux back.

Used injectors are fairly cheap though, like on ebay and such.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by Adam B.@Feb 12 2004, 09:30 PM
While we're on the subject, does anyone know a good (cheap) place to send injectors in to get cleaned and blueprinted?
I used a place called Marren Motorsports (http://www.injector.com/) to clean some motorcycle injectors with 155,000 miles on them. They cleaned them, documented their flow rates, and sent them back for $25 each.

FWIW, the worst one I sent them flowed 91% initially, but even after cleaning, not one of them did better than 98% I recall. They said the stink of the dissolving varnish forced everyone out of the shop tho.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wats the best "in a bottle" injector cleaner?

also is it advisible to add double strength of it to very little gas. (say when the fuel gauge is in E) and run the car for for a while. say like 10-15 miles

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 15 2004, 10:56 PM
wats the best "in a bottle" injector cleaner?

also is it advisible to add double strength of it to very little gas. (say when the fuel gauge is in E) and run the car for for a while. say like 10-15 miles
Personally the best "in the bottle" cleaner from "off the shelf" places that I've used is the valvoline complete fuel system cleaner. It says to use it once a year, but I do it every oil change.

But I'm going to try out that 3m injector cleaner that taps into the fuel lines sometime over the summer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
what about my idea of a lot of fuel injector cleaner in very little gas. ??[/b]
Hmm... Well I can see a few posibilities:

1. Might be tought on the fuel cleaner built into the pump since the stroger concentration of the disolver might eat away at it.
2. Since you have less of the cleaner, it wont be there as long so it might not clean the injectors as well.

So i guess it depends on what works better stronger concetration over shorter period of time or weaker concentration over a longer period of time.

I tend to think it takes time for stuff to disolve so I'd go with the weaker over longer time.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
901 Posts
I can garentee that the dealer works much better than the stuff you add to your gas. Besides using seafoam to keep crappy gas from freezing what is the point of any other gas additives? Do any really do what they claim?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts