Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What opinions are out there about fuel injector cleaners? Worth it? Just use good gas? If yes, what kind, how often to use it? Mechanics suggest it a lot, that I have heard, offering the service when other service is done. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
What opinions are out there about fuel injector cleaners? Worth it? Just use good gas? If yes, what kind, how often to use it? Mechanics suggest it a lot, that I have heard, offering the service when other service is done. Thoughts?
I have had 18 Ford cars with fuel injection. Had one leaky on '88 Taurus. JY part to fix that. No other issues. Highest mile in my heard of 3 '03's is 193K. Runs perfect. I buy my gas where ever it is sold.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,119 Posts
^^^^^ Same here..... A 20 oz bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner once or twice a year in all the cars in the fleet. I buy it by the 6 pack on Ebay for 70% the price of buying it at the local parts stores.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
^ Yes. Available in 12oz. and 20oz. bottles. 2 others I've used in the past are Gumout Regane and Redline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gasoline has become the biggest scam of all time. All gasoline comes from only a few refineries must of which are on the Gulf of Mexico coastLine (Louisiana, Texas etc) the only differences in gasolines are dictated by elevation (Denver for example) Seasonal weather and mandates put upon the refinery by city governments. So in other words, the gas sold by any major oil company, Texaco, Exxon, BP ext. at premium prices is exactly the same as the gas sold at your local Mom & Pop quick mart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Speedway fuel, they are the old Hess, all fuel is their own from refinery to the pump, top quality control, all others are the same fuel with their own detergent pills in the tanker truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I heard the same thing about Chevron, using a different source for gas.

I look for the top tier sticker on pumps and avoid stations without it. I don't see any obvious reasons to pick a station beyond that. I have had the gas smell different at different stations, maybe the last guy used diesel or a different octane, or the ethanol content varies.

I have to admit I would like to see some collected case studies on seafoam, Techron etc. I've heard a lot of people say techron is good, but I haven't seen obvious results like with Seafoam or B12.

What I have seen very obvious results from is taking off the fuel injectors and using the fuel injector cleaner kit to clean them individually with Gumout carb cleaner. You can watch the spray pattern improve and the nozzle unclog in front of your eyes.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi, I used the Techron when I got it for $1. at Home Depot on clearance, works well.
I now use Gumout Multi System additive 16 oz. Wow makes my '99 wagon and Sable run smoother. Did have one injector issue on the Sable, got four used from LKQ. My cars have 298K and 253K on the Vulcan engines.

If your car has turbos like our '17 Edge, the Ford tech on youtube says Ford don't recommend any induction cleaning as it can make the turbo(s) run hot. In take additives just fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,119 Posts
^^^^^ Agree 100%

The only thing that should ever flow thru the air induction system on any turbo engine is air.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the walmart 97 cent bottles of fuel injecton/carb cleaner a couple times a year in each of my vehicles, and split a bottle for my lawn tractors, weed eater, leaf blower and generator once a year.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
355 Posts
I heard the same thing about Chevron, using a different source for gas.

I look for the top tier sticker on pumps and avoid stations without it. I don't see any obvious reasons to pick a station beyond that. I have had the gas smell different at different stations, maybe the last guy used diesel or a different octane, or the ethanol content varies.

I have to admit I would like to see some collected case studies on seafoam, Techron etc. I've heard a lot of people say techron is good, but I haven't seen obvious results like with Seafoam or B12.

What I have seen very obvious results from is taking off the fuel injectors and using the fuel injector cleaner kit to clean them individually with Gumout carb cleaner. You can watch the spray pattern improve and the nozzle unclog in front of your eyes.
Which "fuel injector cleaning kit" are you refering to?

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I've been using Gumout with PEA every oil change in my fleet. Have used Techron in past also.
Last time I did LIM gaskets the intakes looked clean. I only gas up with top tier fuels, the few cents saved per gallon at the no name stations isn't worth it. It's ''rack'' gas that's minimum govt. spec. fuel, top tier have their own additive package added to basic fuel hence more cleaning agents and the top tier rating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts