Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that has perplexed my grandfather and I, is the instrument cluster. The fuel gauge once the ignition is turned on slowly rises and then goes off the top (beyond 'F'). We figured somethings up with the sender, but this was founded incorrect by the fact that the Distance To Empty indicating a very good approximate driving range. Then to top it off if fuel is put into or removed from the tank, the DTE gauge adjusts accordingly.

I am at a loss as to figure out where to start. Is it the cluster panel, or some sort of wiring. If this helps, there is an odd behavior during the winder seasons where the display freaks out and shifts the measurements between Km/Hr to MPH very quickly (This also changes the HVAC control between Celsius and Fahrenheit). Sometimes the HUD control buttons to the right do not respond when this happens. This leads me to think that condensation has started to affect the proper operation of the panel and it should be replaced.

Any feedback/suggestions would be great!

-Joe

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Check for a loose connection behind the cluster. Sounds like you have a bad ground on the going to the fuel gauge. You'll have to get a wiring diagram to check the wiring. Also is the car a '89 as shown in your profile?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes it is an 89. I cleaned the contacts sunday but that didnt seem to help. The diagram would likely be of great use. Ah good found the email notification option! This should get me replying a bit faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts