Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, it doesn't seem to register correctly...mostly it reads less than I know I have.

1) Is this the sign of a sending unit replacement? Also, a guy recently told me that he doesn't believe these 01's have a separate sending unit...that's it's part of the fuel pump.

2) Has anyone made their own access panel? (I've seen the videos).

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
01 is a one year only fuel system that has a mechanical pressure regulator in the tank that why fuel filter has three connectors. The level however is just like all the rest. Fuel flex cars have special module in the dash for level readings

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
For a while now, it doesn't seem to register correctly...mostly it reads less than I know I have.

1) Is this the sign of a sending unit replacement? Also, a guy recently told me that he doesn't believe these 01's have a separate sending unit...that's it's part of the fuel pump.

2) Has anyone made their own access panel? (I've seen the videos).
If you've not regularly been using a top tier fuel, the in tank fuel sender contacts may have some corrosion on them that's mucking things up, so maybe consider trying a 20 oz dose of Techron Concentrate Plus in the tank at the pump before filling, so to get good mixing. Run most of the treated tank out before refilling.
If this fixes the problem, consider using a Top Tier fuel known to have a good dose of PEA in its ad pack & we'll not need to use the Techron.

If we'll use Chevron, Texaco, CalTex, or now Shell, which already have some PEA in their fuel ad pack, the additional 1oz/gallon Techron will raise the treat rate 10X above that of pump gas alone, so might be able to tidy things up in one treatment. If things improve but don't completely clear up, try another treatment on the next fill up. This worked for me back in the early 2000's when my 78 Merc Zypher fuel gauge began to act out.
Chevron says in their PDS that it'll get after fuel sender deposits.

Also during the Techron treatment for the erratic fuel gauge , If we'll also do some spirited driving & perform daily rpm run up's when getting on the interstate, to say 3500 & or for a mile or two, we can also tidy up the fuel injectors, intake valves, piston crowns & combustion chambers by blowing out engine deposits the Techron PEA has loosened up.

I usually do the Techron treatment on the family fleet just before the next oil & filter change, so I'll remove any deposits, or Techron piston ring blow-by that may have made their way into the oil sump.

I believe Advance Auto has Techron on a buy one, get one sale this month, so you could try the treatment at a discount.

Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Also I believe there is a electronic slosh damper in the instrument cluster. It's purpose is to even out the level swings from going around turns or going up and down hills. I believe I have read some threads that they sometimes will mess up the actual level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Automender12345
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing